• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Is Scioscia all there?

nate

Every baseball message board has threads like these... it comes with the territory.  The great thing about this board is most people here have the ability to laugh at themselves and eat crow when appropriate.  At the end of the day, we all want the same thing... to see the Angels win.

It was really valid at the time. Four straight years of shit and one of the dumbest decisions I have seen him make.

That's why I didn't call you out for making the thread about his decision. It's never about the complaint about the decision, it's about the assumption that Scioscia doesn't care or that the game has passed him by or that he has become complacent because of his contract. In other words talking out of their ass. This thread had all of that and more. Hell this thread had a constant complainer getting into it with a beat writer for the team and the constant complainer (who has all but disappeared) talking like he is the authority on the Angels clubhouse.

That's why I didn't call you out for making the thread about his decision. It's never about the complaint about the decision, it's about the assumption that Scioscia doesn't care or that the game has passed him by or that he has become complacent because of his contract. In other words talking out of their ass. This thread had all of that and more. Hell this thread had a constant complainer getting into it with a beat writer for the team and the constant complainer (who has all but disappeared) talking like he is the authority on the Angels clubhouse.

Yeah, that constant complainer went totally bezerko on us.  Most people can criticize somewhat responsibly, he went totally PUI (posting under the influence) on us.  Then he morfed into a persecuted child.  Now he's MIA (missing in action), and we are all better off without him.

Edited by tomsred

Seems a bit premature to glorify Scioscia since so much can go wrong in the final weeks. The playoffs could be another October embarrassment.  At the other extreme, the Angels could win the World Series.  We just don't know yet. 

In some ways, the better performance as of late lends credence to many existing criticisms.  I've said on a number of occasions that over the course of an entire season, I don't think Scioscia knows what works and what doesn't.  Every few years, his teams show signs of brilliance, then slump back to their marginal ways.  I think if he's truly the excellent manager many believe him to be, after 15 seasons he should be able to string together more consistent success. 

Another thing, if Scioscia is to be credited for 2014 success, then he is to blame for 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, etc.  You can't have it both ways. 

In some ways, the better performance as of late lends credence to many existing criticisms.  I've said on a number of occasions that over the course of an entire season, I don't think Scioscia knows what works and what doesn't.  Every few years, his teams show signs of brilliance, then slump back to their marginal ways.  I think if he's truly the excellent manager many believe him to be, after 15 seasons he should be able to string together more consistent success. 

On pace for his 9th season of 89 or more wins (8th in last 10 years), 4 losing seasons in 15 years (the worst of which was 75-87 in 2001), a team winning percentage of .547 over that time is considered marginal?  Of the 29 managers with more career wins than MS:  None did it in fewer seasons. 20 are in the HOF. 13 have more playoff appearances. 8 have better winning percentages.

Regardless of whether a person thinks MS is a good manager or a complete moron, it's awfully hard to argue he's not enjoyed consistent success.  I guess it's possible people have different expectations/standards.