• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Scioscia jokes that Ibanez in lineup 'doesn't make sense'

The question was asked, we have our answer.  It doesn't make sense, but he feels he is coming around. What else is there to discuss?  Maybe the next question should be what adjustments does he need to make to hit better?  I don't know, I'm not sure they want to answer that because other teams will counter that with there own adjustments?  I can't solve his problems, maybe Baylor can fix him.

I think the thing to discuss is why does Scioscia believe this despite it being false?

I'm led to conclude by all this that Scioscia couldn't care less about putting the best team on the field and winning ballgames.

If that's really the case, he needs to be fired immediately.

Just like keeping a light hitting Pujols behind Trout in the lineup...

Rick Sutcliff on ESPN tonight:

This team's season rests on Josh Hamilton, and..

"If Hamilton was batting behind Trout, this Angel's team would be in 1st place right now"

"Pujols didn't hit with men on last season, and with RISP this season, he is hitting around .150"

Thanks Rick. Go down to the clubhouse and chat with Scioscia about that.

Angels record with Ibanez playing: 27-29.

Angels record without Ibanez: 11-3

If this continues and we miss the playoffs, Scioscia needs to be FIRED!!!

Can't blame the whole loss on him if he swings hopelessly at 3 pitches and sits down so lets go with games started.

Ibanez starts 19-20

anybody else starts 19-12

Green starts 12-5

Cron starts 15-10

Navarro starts 5-2

I agree with Scioscia it makes absolutely no sense. Does that mean he's being told to play him? Or, is he just being arrogant.

Dude would need to go 15 for 37 (.405) to reach a .200 overall batting average. I mean, he could do that. But, realistically, how many of the 29 other managers would give him that opportunity knowing that there are at least 3 better in-house options?

Kirk Gibson.

Because Ibanez probably shows enough grit and hard-assitude.

Dude would need to go 15 for 37 (.405) to reach a .200 overall batting average. I mean, he could do that. But, realistically, how many of the 29 other managers would give him that opportunity knowing that there are at least 3 better in-house options?

How many other 29 teams would have signed him in the first place?

How many of the other 29 teams would still keep him on the roster instead of releasing him?

I have no doubt Ibanez is someone Scioscia likes and respects, im sure upper management respects him too.  You're putting Scioscia in an uncomfortable position of keeping a 40 year old at the end of his career on the bench.  

Ibanez doesnt belong in the lineup, contrary to prior belief Scioscia isnt stupid and he understands there are better options.  For some reason, upper management wont do the right thing and release him.  It was the same way with Mathis.  Nobody wanted to see him in the lineup but for some reason he kept being brought back, until they finally decided to release him thats when MS couldnt play him anymore.

Let's hope Ibanez can turn it around. His "production" so far is a sunk cost. If he can provide a 110 wRC+ the rest of the season that would be excellent. I just don't see that happening.

asking him to be a league average hitter at this point, is like asking mother Theresa for a BJ. probably won't happen

Could it be possible to that Sosh is being told play him? It is far fetched because I believe Sosh to be too arrogant to be told who to play. Is he so arrogant that he plays him because Dipoto won't dfa him? That maybe possible. One thing is for certain is Iabenez should no longer play and should no longer be on the roster. Dipoto can end this with a stroke of a pen. The mere fact Iabenez is still on the team means Dipoto wants him on the roster. I assume that Sosh plans him because he wants Iabenez in there. But maybe he is playing him in spite?????

Naww.....

Edited by stormngt

Ibanez doesnt belong in the lineup, contrary to prior belief Scioscia isnt stupid and he understands there are better options.  For some reason, upper management wont do the right thing and release him.  It was the same way with Mathis.  Nobody wanted to see him in the lineup but for some reason he kept being brought back, until they finally decided to release him thats when MS couldnt play him anymore.

Because a guy is on the roster doesn't mean that the manager is obligated to use him extensively. It is abundantly clear that the ability to hit left Ibanez some time ago. Continuing to run him out there and have him fail in key situations helps nobody.

Because a guy is on the roster doesn't mean that the manager is obligated to use him extensively. It is abundantly clear that the ability to hit left Ibanez some time ago. Continuing to run him out there and have him fail in key situations helps nobody.

I dont agree with it either but maybe this is Mike's way of saying stop giving me these garbage players or I am going to make you look terrible?  

It seems like politics but at the end of the day I blame the person who signed him rather then the manager for playing him.  

It seems like politics but at the end of the day I blame the person who signed him rather then the manager for playing him.  

I go exactly the other way on it. For Dipoto it seemed like a reasonable gamble, one year contract with no obligation past 2014. Ibanez always killed us when he hit against us. Last year he hit 29 home runs with 65 RBI in Seattle while batting .242 - not great, but certainly not sub-Mathis territory like he is hitting now. If we were getting 2013 production out of him, we would be thrilled.

For Scioscia it is just another opportunity to play a veteran who is clearly done.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

This conspiracy stuff drives me crazy.  Scioscia and Dipoto have to be discussing this stuff a lot.  If there was something devious going on here it would escape into the outside world easily, and it has not.  Some idiot in the organization would leak it for spite, for money, or just because he wanted the spotlight.  There are too many social network sniffers.  To AngelsWin posters, thinking that Scioscia is arrogant means that he won't do what they think is obvious that he should do.  Say what you will about Mike, but he makes decisions for the long haul because he thinks that those decisions will pay off greater if he can get players into the roles he feels that are critical to be filled in crunch time.

Here's the rub to that though, sacrificing today could cost the team any chance at being in a position of success later.  But I've said this many times before, managers and GM's generally have much more patience than an average fan.  So even while Scioscia preaches one game at a time to the players, both he and Jerry organizations do have a vision of where they where they would like player's roles to be in crunch time.

Neither Jerry and Mike are dimwits or devious people, they are experienced and intelligent people in their jobs.  The real question remains "is their plan good enough, and can they overcome the road blocks, to reach the goal"?  Repeated failures to do that will eventually cost them their jobs, that's the way baseball works. 

"This conspiracy stuff drives me crazy.  Scioscia and Dipoto have to be discussing this stuff a lot.  If there was something devious going on here it would escape into the outside world easily, and it has notSome idiot in the organization would leak it for spite, for money, or just because he wanted the spotlight".

Yeah, there is so much money and fame and fortune to be gained by "exposing" a rift between Mike Scioscia and his front office.

It will be all over the world news! The future queen's ass shots will need to take a back seat to things as important as this!

Are you f'n serious?

You really think someone exposing a rift in the Angels FO and dugout means shit to anyone but a hand full of people?

LOL!

Delusional takes on a new meaning, reading your delusional tripe.

I guess your reading comprehension only last three lines. If you read my entire post I answer my own question with a NaW. I believe Sosh has too big of an ego to be told who to play. I do know this. Playing Iabenez makes no sense....and even Scioscia is saying that. So there is something beh I nd the scenes going on. I also know Dipoto can can end this with a stroke of a pen. He isnt. My conclusion is that both Sosh and Dipoto feel it is better for the team in the long term by keep giving Iabenez more at bats. I don't get it. I don't see his value but they 9bviously do.

"Could it be possible to that Sosh is being told play him?"

Thanks! I now realize that..

There will never be a point on this forum when I can think or feel that I have seen it all...