• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ultra Mega Outdoors/Camping Thread

• 2 months later...

Learned a valuable fishing lesson today.  When fishing with light gear, always keep your net close.  My net was up river next to my chair, I was fishing for smallmouth bass mostly and ended up hooking a brown trout, my first one ever.  Fought it for at least five minutes, maybe longer.  Got it on shore and when I let go with one hand to get my phone out of my pocket to take a picture it snapped the line and back into the river.

It wasn't a monster or anything but easily snapped the 6lb line I had.

Probably about this size.

brown-trout.jpg

This is a 3 day trip I do once a year - it is fantastic. Not insane brutal hike but definitely not for beginners. 

It's rated "difficult" by everytrail.com.

Called Pine Ridge Trail to Sykes Hot Springs.

It's 10 miles each way, with full gear, starting on the coast and into the mountains of Big Sur. 

Absolutely beautiful scenery.

At the end is a river, and there are natural hot springs that they have wrapped with rocks and turned into outdoor jacuzzi basically. 

Usually takes about 6 hours each way.

The way back is great because we always immediately head to one of my fav places, The Big Sur River Inn for a cold pint and to soak our weary feet the river.

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/pine-ridge-trail-to-sykes-hot-springs

Not my photos but whatevs.

sykes2.jpg

5466912585_ea93556b83_z.jpg

Edited by mrwicked

Nice hike. I'd like to do that sometime. I've seen some hot springs on the John Muir Trail but they looked more like the muddy type.

For the bear topic, I have encountered a good sized black bear chowing down on some daypack left by a fisherman (below Bishop Pass on the JMT). My brother dropped his pack to get the camera and the bear became very interested. He got the picture, put the pack back on and we went on our way.

I have a house and property in bfe north east Oregon (really bfe, no stop lights in the entire county). There's a stream running through the property with lots of blackberries. Some giant bear (based on paw prints and scat) comes down into that stream often. There aren't supposed to be Grizzly bears in that region but I wouldn't bet against it. Also have cougar and active wolf packs in the area. Some rancher neighbors have had to deal with wolf predation. Lots of wild turkey too and deer are all over. Nearly all of my fruit trees are deer-fenced but I have some older apricot trees in the open that the deer eat the fallen fruit. I'm not there often so the deer are tame around the house. I've also seen plenty of longhorn sheep and elk. Still haven't seen moose but they are around but rare.

That's a nice size trout, Nate. I'm a novice at fishing but managed to catch a smaller one in august. I missed the chinook season in july but the steelhead should be starting soon. Really want to build that cold-smoker for the fish that Homebrewer mentioned.

There is a possibility that Grizzly's may return to CA. Apparently there are a few that may end up in the Mount Shasta area. I had a long talk with a Ranger in Sequoia National Park over the Summer. 

i blame stickboy. he couldn't just leave well enough alone.

They tried to reintroduce bears into the San Jacinto Mtns. about 15 years ago. The Forest Service tried to deny having moved them, but they did. It lasted for a year or two. Then, they just disappeared. Might have been a good idea to make sure there was ample food for them before the attempt.

• 7 months later...

It's Spring time, got a trip planned in July to go to Bass Lake/Yosemite and a trip to camp in San Gorgonio in August.

Been engulfed in trail/outdoors life recently. Listening to a bunch of podcasts, watching documentaries, reading books, I feel like I'm going mental. I need to get out on the trail NOW!

I've really been enamored with the Pacific Crest Trail. Anyone ever done it or portions of it before?

It's Spring time, got a trip planned in July to go to Bass Lake/Yosemite and a trip to camp in San Gorgonio in August. Been engulfed in trail/outdoors life recently. Listening to a bunch of podcasts, watching documentaries, reading books, I feel like I'm going mental. I need to get out on the trail NOW! I've really been enamored with the Pacific Crest Trail. Anyone ever done it or portions of it before?

My Aunt and Uncle have a cabin at Bass Lake.  Love it up there.

I have been fishing a ton lately.  Raining this weekend or I would be out there again.  Can't wait.

It's Spring time, got a trip planned in July to go to Bass Lake/Yosemite and a trip to camp in San Gorgonio in August.Been engulfed in trail/outdoors life recently. Listening to a bunch of podcasts, watching documentaries, reading books, I feel like I'm going mental. I need to get out on the trail NOW!I've really been enamored with the Pacific Crest Trail. Anyone ever done it or portions of it before?

I have crazy hopes/dreams of thru-hiking the PCT, but with the stresses of opening what is essentially a small business and a Non-Profit at that, it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon.

I am heading up to the Sequoias for a week in July and with every passing day, my wanderlust is growing. Sucks I am only getting a week this year, but I chose the path.

I too have crazy hopes of thru-hiking the PCT Sully, but when I hear it takes 5-6 months to do it I think what kind of people (other than 20 somethings that just graduated college) can not work for 5-6 months and hike it??

The Muir Trail may be a better option. It's about a 30 day trip from Yosemite to Mt. Whitney...about 180 miles if I recall correctly.

check out the Muir Project website, they did a fun little movie about it.

http://themuirproject.com/

We have a 2 week trailer trip planned up around Redwoods and the Oregon Border. Not excited about the 500 mile trek up there towing the trailer...but once we get their it'll be awesome.

Edited by red321

I recently read and watched something about John Muir and his efforts to keep preservation and bring it to the government level with things like Yosemite.

I'm pretty sure I just did that thing of Google linking and ended up with various articles and Youtubes.

TF, how do you plan/do trips with the little one? It sounds like you're looking at more than just a weekend with What About Bob

Edited by Brandon

The Muir Trail may be a better option. It's about a 30 day trip from Yosemite to Mt. Whitney...about 180 miles if I recall correctly.

check out the Muir Project website, they did a fun little movie about it.

http://themuirproject.com/

We have a 2 week trailer trip planned up around Redwoods and the Oregon Border. Not excited about the 500 mile trek up there towing the trailer...but once we get their it'll be awesome.

I actually watched that documentary a couple of weeks ago. It's what kind of sparked my interest about everything. And the Muir Trail is part of the PCT. If anything I'll do weekend hikes in the south first before thinking about doing a long one.

Are you gonna start at the Jedediah Smith Redwoods?

I recently read and watched something about John Muir and his efforts to keep preservation and bring it to the government level with things like Yosemite.

I'm pretty sure I just did that thing of Google linking and ended up with various articles and Youtubes.

TF, how do you plan/do trips with the little one? It sounds like you're looking at more than just a weekend with What About Bob

If you want to watch a cool doc about Yosemite and Muir you should watch the first two episodes of Ken Burns' National Parks. The first two episodes are all about Yosemite, Muir, and Yellowstone. Incredible stuff.

Regarding the little one, we're staying at a family members place at Bass Lake so that's pretty easy as far as that goes. Though before we get to Bass Lake I want to spend a night camping in Sequoia to show my wife how awesome that NP is so its all going to be new to us. I'm sure we'll do fine with him. He's 2 now so I'm sure it won't be too difficult.

Edited by TobiasFunke

I actually watched that documentary a couple of weeks ago. It's what kind of sparked my interest about everything. And the Muir Trail is part of the PCT. If anything I'll do weekend hikes in the south first before thinking about doing a long one.

Are you gonna start at the Jedediah Smith Redwoods?

It's a fun documentary...it's what put the Muir Trail on my bucket list. We've done some hiking up to Bishop Pass and once you get in the Alpine basins it's another world.

We will start in Humboldt, dropping my step daughter off at school. We haven't planned it out yet, we did a quick road trip up their a few months back and I fell in love with the area. I think the rough plan is start in Humboldt and head north through Redwood National Park...maybe stay near the mouth of the Klamath River for a few days and then go up to Crescent City area before hitting the southern Oregon coast. The camera is going to get a work out.

It's a fun documentary...it's what put the Muir Trail on my bucket list. We've done some hiking up to Bishop Pass and once you get in the Alpine basins it's another world.

We will start in Humboldt, dropping my step daughter off at school. We haven't planned it out yet, we did a quick road trip up their a few months back and I fell in love with the area. I think the rough plan is start in Humboldt and head north through Redwood National Park...maybe stay near the mouth of the Klamath River for a few days and then go up to Crescent City area before hitting the southern Oregon coast. The camera is going to get a work out.

Awesome. My wife's aunt and uncle live in Gasquet right on the Smith River. I absolutely fell in love with the area when we stayed with them the first time. Rushing river behind their house, minutes from the Redwoods, not too close from civilization but not too far either. Just perfect.

• 1 month later...

Hey Homebrewer, I need your help asap. My family is supposed to camp in Sequoia on Wednesday and Thursday but it's looking like thunderstorms and rain. Friday were going up to family's house at Bass Lake (where the weather is supposed to be opposite of thunderstorms). Got any camping suggestions in the Oakhurst general area or just general suggestions for us since it looks like we're backing out of Sequoia?

dude if you like that stuff - watch ken burns documentary on the national parks.

its awesome!

http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/

I haven't checked the weather, is Sequoia expecting severe thunder storms? If not, you might still want to go, they always say there is a chance and often times they never develop.

I was there a couple of weeks ago for 5 days and we had one morning of storms. The rest of the time it was beautiful and empty. Thank God most people only know of Yosemite.