• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ultra Mega Outdoors/Camping Thread

A camping thread is right up my alley. Living where I do, I camp about 10 times a year.

I have things so organized that I can take off for a week, with everything I need, in less than 15 mins.

Anyone that has watched Pawn Stars, has seen Mark Hall-Patton, the beard of knowledge. I have known him for a long time, long before Pawn Stars. We belong to an organization that erects historical markers in remote, out of the way places.

We gather, camp, drink, eat, and drink...  and dedicate the large stone, brass, and marble markers you see throughout the Western US.

Edited by Homebrewer

Used to do the backpack runs with the Boy Scouts and there was always competition as who could out pack who on a two night run. My sons and I would split gear so we had real food rather than the freeze dried crap in a bag. Pulling out some steak to cook up had the rest of the group envious until... one guy decided enough was enough and pulled out a live Maine lobster one night for dinner. Then just to nail it down the next night after dinner he pulled out some ice cream he had on dry ice. We conceded he was champ but never once brought dinner in a bag, what a waste of time on an a couple over nighters.

Congrats AngelsLongBall for making it to Eagle Scout. I washed out at 2nd class but my three sons all made it to Eagle. Like you, I haven't been camping since. I need to get my butt back in shape so I can do a couple more backpack fishing trips. I miss fresh trout and eggs for breakfast.

I just realized that I haven't been camping since I became Eagle Scout about 19 years ago.  Damn

Eagle?

That is impressive, my man.

I made it to Life, and was OA (Order of the Arrow... for non-BSA readers)

Then I discovered Jimmi Hendricks, Orange Sunshine, and Afghani Hashish..

Edited by Homebrewer

I totally avoid anything that says NATURAL.

The best trips are ones where you don't need it. The worst are the ones where you do, and don't have it...or have crappy natural stuff that doesn't work.

I agree with you about the best trips are the ones that you don't need it, but that almost never happens. I assure you this works. This is my company. I helped develop the product with the help of a Lyme Disease doctor. We have been on the market for just over a year, and continue to grow.

A synergistic blend of 10 essential oils, each one a known repellent, makes Ticks-n-All a step above anything else out there. We are also the only one that can say they are 100% certified organic. We also have a pet version for cats and dogs. Frontline is great at keeping the pests from biting your dog/cat, but does nothing to keep them from being carried into your home where they get in your carpeting and furniture ready to jump on you.

While we are doing well in the east and mid-west, we need to get more exposure on the west coast. We had a booth at the ExpoWest Natural product show in Anaheim this past March, and made a lot of good contacts. http://www.ticks-n-all.com

post-155-0-43723700-1403150543_thumb.jpg

Edited by NJHalo

A camping thread is right up my alley. Living where I do, I camp about 10 times a year.

I have things so organized that I can take off for a week, with everything I need, in less than 15 mins.

Anyone that has watched Pawn Stars, has seen Mark Hall-Patton, the beard of knowledge. I have known him for a long time, long before Pawn Stars. We belong to an organization that erects historical markers in remote, out of the way places.

We gather, camp, drink, eat, and drink...  and dedicate the large stone, brass, and marble markers you see throughout the Western US.

Dude, I would do anything to spend time with the beard of knowledge.  That is awesome.

Dude, I would do anything to spend time with the beard of knowledge.  That is awesome.

Mark is exactly the way he comes off on TV. If you notice.. he always wears a red shirt and black hat, which are the "colors" of the "Historical Brotherhood" we belong to. It dates back to the gold rush era, and that is about all I can tell you about it, here.

Suffice to say that it isn't that easy going anywhere in public with him these days.

He handles it all with a coolness that I never could.

He and Rick Harrison from the pawn shop have a new show, the United Stuff of America. It is also on History.

I am going to be somewhere in one of the episodes this summer.

I haven't even seen it yet.

I agree with you about the best trips are the ones that you don't need it, but that almost never happens. I assure you this works. This is my company. I helped develop the product with the help of a Lyme Disease doctor. We have been on the market for just over a year, and continue to grow.

A synergistic blend of 10 essential oils, each one a known repellent, makes Ticks-n-All a step above anything else out there. We are also the only one that can say they are 100% certified organic. We also have a pet version for cats and dogs. Frontline is great at keeping the pests from biting your dog/cat, but does nothing to keep them from being carried into your home where they get in your carpeting and furniture ready to jump on you.

While we are doing well in the east and mid-west, we need to get more exposure on the west coast. We had a booth at the ExpoWest Natural product show in Anaheim this past March, and made a lot of good contacts. http://www.ticks-n-all.com

I'd rather use a non-DEET product, but have tried many. I have a 1/4 acre organic garden, but I still carry DEET into the back country. I use some organic stuff on our horses, which seems to work fine for flies...but for me and mosquitoes, I rely on 100% DEET.

Edited by Homebrewer

Mark is exactly the way he comes off on TV. If you notice.. he always wears a red shirt and black hat, which are the "colors" of the "Historical Brotherhood" we belong to. It dates back to the gold rush era, and that is about all I can tell you about it, here.

Suffice to say that it isn't that easy going anywhere in public with him these days.

He handles it all with a coolness that I never could.

He and Rick Harrison from the pawn shop have a new show, the United Stuff of America. It is also on History.

I am going to be somewhere in one of the episodes this summer.

I haven't even seen it yet.

He is my favorite expert they call in on the show.  I would love to pick his brain and listen to his stories.

How much of it is in his head and how much of it is researchers from the History channel feeding the info to him?

The rent idea is some of the best advice you will get.

If you are car camping, and it sounds like you are, you don't have to worry as much about weight. A cot is a great idea, or an air mattress. For our luxury car camping trips we have a double size queen air mattress. I personally prefer the air mattresses to the cots.

If there is an REI near you another thing you can look for is their used gear sale. We picked up a $400 tent for $80. We've picked up backpacking tents for $50, sleeping bags for a song. The trick to the used gear sale is you have to get there hours early and then sprint to the tent (or sleeping bag, backpack...whatever you are looking for) when they start letting folks in. We got lucky, someone had grabbed the tent and set it up, not a single issue with it, the wife just didn't how it looked...my wife walked by and said you don't like it? I'll take it. Bang...10 ft tent with 7 foot ceilings, rain cover, ground cover...the whole thing for $80. You have to check everything out at the sale to make sure it's in working order, but you can find some great deals.

The other nice thing about REI is their return policy. They take pretty much anything back...I've seen people return socks after two years because they "felt funny"...or pants after a few years because they suddenly shrunk.

Nate, I just pulled that one random from google.

The particular one I have is just an REI Trekker. Something like this one:http://www.rei.com/product/870759/rei-trekker-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

If you have an REI membership card (they're free) or wait until there's a sale on them (there are always sales at REI), you can find them usually for like $50-$60 bucks.

REI membership is a one time $20 I think. But you get dividends, 10% back at the end of the year on most purchases. Well worth the investment. We actually bought one for each person in the family so when they send out the 20% off a few times a year we get multiple coupons.

If you do buy sleeping pads (I have them for backpacking, I have a Big Agnes Q something or other...it's great), make sure you buy a small repair kit as well. Nothing sucks more than a hole in the mattress pad at 2am.

Edited by red321