• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

RIP Tony Gwynn

nate

I loved hearing his Ricky Henderson impressions.  Met him once when he signed an autograph for me after an SDSU vs. UCI game.  Very humble and nice.

I don't remember Gwynn ever showing up an opposing pitcher, ever showing up an umpire.  I just remember him hitting the crap out of the ball. 

This is heart breaking.  I have two Tony Gwynn stories.  I had the pleasure of meeting him at an autograph signing at El Cajon Ford - who he represented for many years.  He and my wife struck up a conversation because they had gone to rival high schools. He joked with her about her high school always beat his and they shared names and joked a bit.  It was a nice moment and one my wife will never forget (not I).

We also ran into him at the all-star game that was played at Yankee Stadium.  He was in the parade riding in the back of a Chevy truck. I joked with him about being a Ford man and how he was going to get in trouble for riding in a Chevy.  He laughed and acknowledged the situation. It was a nice little interaction with him and a cool memory.

He's the kind of ball player you can't help but love. He regularly engaged with fans.  He smiled a lot. He played the game the right way and was just classy in everything he did.

In situations classified as "late and close," Gwynn hit a mere .353. 
How good was Gwynn? He hit .415 against Greg Maddux, .444 against John Smoltz, .469 against Doug Drabek. Those aren't small sample sizes as he faced all three at least 50 times. In fact, he faced Maddux more often than any other pitcher: 107 times. Never hit a home run off him, but drew 11 walks, hit eight doubles. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/48557/tony-gwynn-the-man-could-hit

Edited by gotbeer

In addition to three years of baseball, Gwynn was also a point guard for the Aztec basketball squad for four seasons and was named to the all-Western Athletic Conference team on two occasions. He remains the only athlete in WAC history to be honored as an all-conference performer in two sports.

Still one of SDSU's all-time greats at his position, Gwynn tied the school record for assists in a game with 18 against UNLV on Feb. 3, 1980. He also still holds the Aztec records for assists in a season (221) and career (590), and averaged 5.5 per game over the course of his career. His mark of 8.2 assists per game during the 1979-80 campaign is the best ever for an Aztec.

http://www.tonygwynn19.com/bio.php

Gwynn had 9288 at bats in his career and only struck out 434 times.  That is supremely ridiculous.

He received 532 out of 545 HOF ballots.  Still would like to have a chat with the 13 people who didn't vote for him.

Eleven writers failed to vote for Babe Ruth when he came up for election to the Hall. How's that possible?!

Edited by fan_since79