• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Probably not going to make the postseason...

DMVol

Frieri will continue to occupy high leverage situations. Not that there is anything better, but may as well give Morin a try. Smith isn't the answer, Bedrosian is not ready for prime time, and the rest just are not suitable or talented enough. It would be nice to have someone reliable as the closer and in the set-up role. Frieri is just not reliable. At times he is very good, but he does not possess the skill set, moxie, or mental toughness to succeed as a closer when he is struggling.

Edited by EDinTUSTIN

I think this team is pretty good, and it wouldn't surprise me if we end this season with this winning percentage, which is about a 90 win season. This year I think that is enough to get a wild card. If we are looking good in six weeks (the trade deadline) we will go get an arm.

I think this team is pretty good, and it wouldn't surprise me if we end this season with this winning percentage, which is about a 90 win season. This year I think that is enough to get a wild card. If we are looking good in six weeks (the trade deadline) we will go get an arm.

They are above average overall, strad. Better than the past 4 seasons, but the bullpen troubles need to be corrected right away, because that can cause other problems later down the road. We absolutely need another reliable arm that can get quick outs.

They are above average overall, strad. Better than the past 4 seasons, but the bullpen troubles need to be corrected right away, because that can cause other problems later down the road. We absolutely need another reliable arm that can get quick outs.

I'm not positive the answer is another arm, as much as it is Morin and Bedrosian growing into their roles, getting repetitions and gaining confidence at the major league level. I doubt both will be dominating, but I think one will be, and the other will be a very solid contributor. That along with Alvarez coming quickly and we may not need a bullpen arm. I would be completely ok with getting a very good closer, I just don't know how we acquire that piece with limited resources.

This bullpen is better than last season, last few seasons, and getting even better.

What this team needs is a manager who can get his brain out of tunnel vision, and use the best bullpen guy for the situation...rather than using the same old failed formula game after game..

Shake shit up, see where it settles, and then MAYBE you are ready to make a run at Oakland in the second half.

It is either that or..

Use the same old BS Scioscia formula, and wind up in third place...

I'm not positive the answer is another arm, as much as it is Morin and Bedrosian growing into their roles, getting repetitions and gaining confidence at the major league level. I doubt both will be dominating, but I think one will be, and the other will be a very solid contributor. That along with Alvarez coming quickly and we may not need a bullpen arm. I would be completely ok with getting a very good closer, I just don't know how we acquire that piece with limited resources.

Those are words of truth. Bedrosian doesn't seem to be ready, though.  I am intrigued by Alvarez.

This bullpen is better than last season, last few seasons, and getting even better.

What this team needs is a manager who can get his brain out of tunnel vision, and use the best bullpen guy for the situation...rather than using the same old failed formula game after game..

Shake shit up, see where it settles, and then MAYBE you are ready to make a run at Oakland in the second half.

It is either that or..

Use the same old BS Scioscia formula, and wind up in third place...

Okay -- name a manager that actually does what you're talking about.  

It's not happening in Oakland where after all the April implosions and early May juggling Melvin has been using his best reliever (Doolittle), as the closer.  It's not happening in Cleveland where Francona used Axford until he predictably tanked and has been using his best RP (Cody Allen), as the closer.  The best reliever in the Tigers pen hasn't been seeing the highest leverage situations, they have had guys in set roles all year, then again they don't really have anyone that's that great in the pen.   A lot of noise has been made in TB about Balfour is no longer the closer, but there he was facing the meat of the order in their last save situation while Jake McGee saw the lesser bats an inning before that.  Delin Betances is likely the best arm in the Yankees' pen, he's still essentially their first reliever out of the pen and not a guy they are saving for high leverage situations.  Robertson who had been their best RP high leverage guy in recent years has been the closer.  KC has been using Davis as the set up guy exclusively with Holland closing .. always.    SF is using Machi and Affeldt strictly according to platoon role, StL has been basically doing the same thing with Seigrist and Martinez and never once considered moving Rosenthal out of the closer role despite his struggles.  Houston might have been the best example of a team using the best arm in the highest leverage situation but the minute Chad Qualls started to pull apart from the rest of the pen he was installed as the closer.   Milwaukee has been using Will Smith as the set up guy for K-Rod exlusively.  Toronto was having BP issues, they finally got Janssen off the DL and guess what, despite being their best reliever far and away he went right to the closer's role.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really disagree with what you're saying, the argument isn't new, it's not enlightened, it's been argued in saber circles for eons but it's an argument that ignores the reality of bullpen volatility and assumes the best case scenario...  It assumes that everything will go as planned, that the other team won't mount an even bigger threat later in the game and that every pitcher will live up to his roles without fail.  There isn't a manager in MLB that wants to have to answer questions about why he used a guy in the 7th inning of a close game only to lose the game later in innings.   Every team in MLB seems to be using the same BS Scioscia formula..  Maybe because it's been the standard SOP since before MS was a manager.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I'm guessing Dipoto is looking into trade options for a closer. Not sure who will be available, but it wouldn't happen for another month or so as teams became more clear about whether they are contenders or not.

The dream would be for the Red Sox and fall way behind, then for the Angels to send them a package for Koji Uehara. I know, won't happen.

Ideally Bedrosian continues to develop and can be relied upon as a high leverage RP.

Interesting Angels are being linked to Samarzija. Unless we totally empty out farm system I don't see how that is possible. Even then...

Anyways, if we land a Hammel or similar pitcher Santiago can move back to the pen for 2014.