• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Newcomb Signs

Cdaniel

Harold Reynolds said that, and it got spread around.  Ric Wilson and others shot it down.

Also, responding to a post eaterfan made, I actually was talking about Newcomb delaying, not the Angels.  The Angels signed all of their other top 10 picks by more than 2 weeks ago.  The money available to him (assuming the Angels didn't want to go over their allotment--which clearly they didn't) wasn't going to change between that time and now.

didn't reynolds also start the saying that howie was a "future batting champ"?

rule #1:  never listen to harold reynolds

I think this is just the beginning of this story. Aiken and Nix could file grievances. Being a UCLA fan I hope they both end up there but I feel terrible for these kids. Especially Nix. Both may end up FAs or going to community college.

I hope it ends up well for both those guys, particularly Nix who passed his physical and had agreed to a deal..  He just flat out got jobbed.   But from the Houston POV, they just completely shot themselves in the foot.   To intentionally tank in hopes of getting multiple number ones and then blow their pick last year and lose the rights to this year's number one ..  both of them pitchers.   What a shit show.

That 2017 WS isn't looking so good right now.  

That is just bad, bad management.  Sucks for the kids.  Hope they get drafted next year by a smart team.

Both are UCLA commits. If they go there they can't be drafted until after their junior year. They would have to go to community college to be eligible next season.

Both are UCLA commits. If they go there they can't be drafted until after their junior year. They would have to go to community college to be eligible next season.

Why couldn't these kids sign, I don't get why not drafting the first round pick effects them?

Why couldn't these kids sign, I don't get why not drafting the first round pick effects them?

If you don't sign the first pick, you lose his slot money.  For both of the other guys they didn't sign, they went over slot b/c they were counting on Aiken to sign for less than slot.  When he didn't, their house of cards collapsed.  I guess in theory, both of the others could have re-negotiated for a lot less...

Well, now it remains to be seen if they are eligible.  If the NCAA determines they had help from an agent -- they may be SOL.

Well one if them is the number one pick.

The draft works by every slot in the first round having a value assigned to it. You only get to use the total of those dollars. You also only get to use the dollars for the picks you sign. The first pick has a high value and Aiken had agreed to sign enough below that to allow them to sign their 5th round pick for well over that slot's value. Without that first slot's money in the pool there isn't enough to sign their fifth pick.

I think this is just the beginning of this story. Aiken and Nix could file grievances. Being a UCLA fan I hope they both end up there but I feel terrible for these kids. Especially Nix. Both may end up FAs or going to community college.

I don't think they can actually file grievances because they aren't part of the MLBPA. However, I did hear that the MLBPA was looking into their "legal options". Don't know yet if it's popcorn time.