• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Was Scioscia's managing performance in 2002 a fluke?

Considering he also managed the Angels to the ALCS in 05 and 09 and the ALDS 04, 07 and 08 I don't think it was a fluke.  I do think that he is past his prime, kind of like Ibanez.  Honestly this is a different era in baseball and this team is very different than any team he won with.

Considering he also managed the Angels to the ALCS in 05 and 09 and the ALDS 04, 07 and 08 I don't think it was a fluke.  I do think that he is past his prime, kind of like Ibanez.  Honestly this is a different era in baseball and this team is very different than any team he won with.

This current era is probably more in tune with those teams.   The game is more about pitching defense and manufacturing runs than ever before. 

This current era is probably more in tune with those teams.   The game is more about pitching defense and manufacturing runs than ever before. 

Ironically his teams of recent years are garbage at manufacturing runs and pitching.

As others have touched upon, I don't hate Mike Scioscia as a manager persay.  He's had a lot of good accomplishments and is well respected by a lot of baseball people.  I just think he's out of his element, especially with this team.  He definitely isn't a forward thinking type of guy, and he has a lot of old school traditional ways of managing that should have essentially been phased out of baseball by now, or at least the AL.   

The contact play, bunting, trying to push relievers into specific roles when we don't have the personnel for it, hanging on to vets for too long and making necessary changes much too slowly out of some weird sense of "respect" to guys who clearly should be put out to pasture, still starting Iannetta behind the plate 60+% of the time ... yeah.  I don't think he's the biggest reason for our recent struggles, but I really do feel like a change of scenery is needed for both the Angels and Mike. 

I think it's obvious that he is costing us games by not adjusting. Keeping Ibanez in the lineup, not moving Pujols down in the order and failing to sit down the underperforming vets all these years affs up. Couple that with his crony friends as our coaches and you end up with what we've got: an uninspired and underperforming team. I think its time to let him go...

Dipoto has called up plenty of players to replace those.  It is our idiot manager that keeps playing them.

Dipoto was just quoted yesterday in how he believes Ibanez should still be playing.  Also, if he had called up other players to replace Ibanez and Salas, then he would have cut them or at least sent Salas back down.  Take off the blinders.  Dipoto is not very good and as of now, he couldn't carry Stoneman's jock.  Sosh has his own issues but it isn't like he hasn't been much quicker to make changes.  I think you have even acknowledged that.

2002 was really the stars aligning thanks to a greatness and GRIT that the team had. 

There was a fire in their bellies, that we haven't seen since.   Passion, hustle, selflessness, and a work ethic to work together to get the job done.   

Sorry, but this team, and many that resembled it in the last 12 years, is merely a list of guys doing their own thing.    

Dipoto was just quoted yesterday in how he believes Ibanez should still be playing.  Also, if he had called up other players to replace Ibanez and Salas, then he would have cut them or at least sent Salas back down.  Take off the blinders.  Dipoto is not very good and as of now, he couldn't carry Stoneman's jock.  Sosh has his own issues but it isn't like he hasn't been much quicker to make changes.  I think you have even acknowledged that.

You expect Dipoto to publicly contradict his Manager?

We have the fourth best record in the AL. Yea it's time for a change.

It's just time for a different voice in the dugout and clubhouse

I've said it the last couple seasons

I hope if we miss the post season this is it.

"Sosh it's not you its us"- Angels Management

We have the fourth best record in the AL. Yea it's time for a change.

Apparently you didn't read where I said "if we miss the postseason"

It's June 6th and we're in first for the wild card (for the time being at least) where did I say let's fire him now in my post?

In 2002 we had players that had been together for years, players who weren't paid stupid amounts of money to suck, players with great baseball qualities, who knew how to steal bases and hit in the clutch and not make boneheaded mistakes, they had that raw baseball instinct to do anything they had to do to win.

Scioscia catered to those characteristics accordingly, did not manage like a pu**y, and it paid off.

Although I think that team would have won no matter who was managing.

And last, purely opinion here...taking the "Anaheim" out of the team name was a terrible terrible move, especially since that's the name they won with. Why ANYONE would do that in the name of "business" is beyond me. No Angels fan gives a s**t about being associated with bum piss smelling Los Angeles. We know baseball is a superstitious sport, as dumb as it may seem. The Angels won their ONLY World Series under the city name of Anaheim. Why the hell would an owner be so willing to screw with that so soon after they won? Why would you change the city name to become a mockery of MLB and people who don't even know baseball but still think it's stupid? What player has pride in their team and where they play when the city they play in is not even where they're located? Put Anaheim back on those roadies and I think things might start looking Angels.