• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Going to the dentist

Do you ever leave the dentist's office feeling totally confused?

I'm an idiot when it comes to flossing my teeth often enough.  The hygienist concurs.  Today, my dentist walks in, looks around for a couple minutes and says, "The bad news for me is that your teeth look really good.  No problems.  Keep up the good work and we'll see you in six months." 

What the heck?  Who do I believe, the hygienist and my own intuition, or the guy with a DDS degree and 30 years of experience?

Its all bullshit. Dentistry is highway robbery. If not for women making us go, most men wouldn't. 

The vast majority of their money is made on cosmetic dentistry and the latest treatments they sell you on. There isn't a lot of profit on a routine cleaning and scaling, so they try to upsell you. On one visit about a year ago, had I done everything they recommended, my $55 bi-annual cleaning would have cost close to $600. And that's no fillings or anything that would have required a drill.

The vast majority of their money is made on cosmetic dentistry and the latest treatments they sell you on. There isn't a lot of profit on a routine cleaning and scaling, so they try to upsell you. On one visit about a year ago, had I done everything they recommended, my $55 bi-annual cleaning would have cost close to $600. And that's no fillings or anything that would have required a drill.

Yeah, sometimes the dentist office feels like a car dealership. 

The hygienist yesterday (not my usual one) was pressuring me to have dental x-rays done.  I usually get them every 2 years because I don't have dental insurance, and I just had them done a year ago.  After she asked and I refused three separate times, she followed up by recommending I have them done at my next visit in six months.  All this despite the fact I have no pain, no sensitivity, and no cavities. 

I'd consider going somewhere else, but I think most dentists are about the same...

I just turned 50 and never had a cavity or any other dental work. I floss when I feel stuff between my teeth. I brush morning and evening and laugh at the asshats brushing in the men's room at work.

i've seen dudes brushing their teeth in a public bathroom and i stop just short of hurling at the sight. i have no idea how anyone could even consider doing that in any public restroom.

i've seen dudes brushing their teeth in a public bathroom and i stop just short of hurling at the sight. i have no idea how anyone could even consider doing that in any public restroom.

What's worse is seeing some guy exit the stall and not wash his hands. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the dates father cooking their meal after not washing his hands after using the bathroom.

I was told six months ago I might need a root canal that would cost between $900 and $1200 dollars. My dentist said he would fill the cavity and get a better look at it, and I ended up with a three-surface filling. Cost about $200. He doesn't think I'll need the root canal after all.

No dental insurance, so I gladly coughed up the $200.

I still have two baby teeth molars.  I just never had permanent teeth.

Every time I go to the dentist (once every 3 or 4 years) i get a speech about how I should get them pull and replaced with fake teeth immediately because they are bound to crack at any second.  I then ask, why now, why can't I just wait until they crack.  They say it will be painful, then I rebuttal with the fact that pulling them and getting implants is going to painful too.....blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line, by baby wisdom teeth are still perfectly fine.  

My vet told me my cat needed her teeth cleaned and they have a person that will do it for $140.

~sigh

That's another scam. 

When I had a cat, they were pushing teeth cleaning which required sedation so the cat wouldn't go crazy.  Total cost = $400.  They got offended when I pointed out that human teeth cleaning with sedation costs substantially less. 

my dentist told me that most dentists, especially ones that cover HMO insurance will try to scam you into anything to try and make a buck

they will tell you that you need things done but they aren't covered by your insurance so they pocket the money

they told me that one of their patients said that a dentist told him he had 12 cavities needing fillings, he went to to my dentist for a 2nd opinion, he only had 1 cavity

That's another scam. 

When I had a cat, they were pushing teeth cleaning which required sedation so the cat wouldn't go crazy.  Total cost = $400.  They got offended when I pointed out that human teeth cleaning with sedation costs substantially less. 

Dogs and cats don't brush their teeth so tartar build-up isn't unusual. I bought the cat treats with tartar control for mine.

I still have two baby teeth molars.  I just never had permanent teeth.

Every time I go to the dentist (once every 3 or 4 years) i get a speech about how I should get them pull and replaced with fake teeth immediately because they are bound to crack at any second.  I then ask, why now, why can't I just wait until they crack.  They say it will be painful, then I rebuttal with the fact that pulling them and getting implants is going to painful too.....blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line, by baby wisdom teeth are still perfectly fine.  

I always thought "baby teeth" did not  have roots. Impacted wisdom teeth are a different story.

My vet told me my cat needed her teeth cleaned and they have a person that will do it for $140.

~sigh

Got the same thing when I boarded my dog before a trip last month. "His teeth really need cleaning. Of course, we will have to sedate him to do it."

I received a postcard in the mail today from the same vet's office notifying me of their "spa days", with special prices I can get on spa services for my dog.

The ways people try to separate you from your money...

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Damn, I'm glad to see other people other than me think dentists are scam artists. Whenever I bring it up, people look at me funny.

i dunno, stick, after snapping this pic of you at the last movie we went to, i think you should go more often.

sendimage.php?path=1749.a7df7df0&width=3