• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Santiago optioned to Triple A

I remember when, a couple months ago, I and maybe a couple others were expessing concern about Santiago and pointing out that the stat reports predicted major regression, and the Homer Mob got all down and nasty about it, predicting Santiago would be awesome. So here we are, almost late May, and Santiago is heading to AAA. Go figure.

It sorta evens out with the constant talk of Weaver's imminent demise due to a loss of velocity doesn't it?

He needs to be stretched out as a starter. Not sure how pitching in the PCL going to help him though. Brutal pitcher's league.

Well, they didn't shy away from Shoemaker who was also being victimized by that park, but I said the same thing when they demoted him to the pen.   Given some of his struggle seems to be mental/confidence, I would have rather they sent him to AA.

I remember when, a couple months ago, I and maybe a couple others were expessing concern about Santiago and pointing out that the stat reports predicted major regression, and the Homer Mob got all down and nasty about it, predicting Santiago would be awesome. So here we are, almost late May, and Santiago is heading to AAA. Go figure.

Link? 

I'm not getting that impression here:

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/12365-hector-santiago-has-been-just-ok/page-4?hl=santiago

LOL, Lou - I was just going to apologize for being obnoxious, and then you one-up me in obnoxiousness by (selectively) finding a quote that you think contradicts what I said. But does it? I don't see how it does.

I'll quote myself (and from about a month ago):

The stat pundits were saying before the season that Santiago was due for major regression, while Angels fans were (wishfully) saying that he was going to be at least as good as last year or better. It seems that, so far, the stat pundits were right: Hector Santiago is an OK pitcher, a solid #4-5 type.

This is just fine with me, especially with the development of Richards and Skaggs. From what I've seen so far, both Richards and Skaggs are going to be at leaste #3 types, if not #2 types - although probably not true aces. If we just accept the fact that Santiago is the #5 starter then he fits right in. If we are, however, expecting him to be a #3 or better--like some were hoping for--then we're bound to be disappointed.

Hmm, OK Lou. Tell me how that contradicts what I wrote in this thread?

I still maintain he's going to be a #4-5 pitcher, who will look like a #2 on some days and a #6 others. Think Daniel Cabrera, although even I hope that he'll be a bit better than that.

I still maintain he's going to be a #4-5 pitcher, who will look like a #2 on some days and a #6 others. Think Daniel Cabrera, although even I hope that he'll be a bit better than that.

Yep, thats likely a fair assessment.  There is real value there and the potential for upside but always the risk that his tendency to get himself into trouble will come back to bite him in the ass.

Angelsjunky, on 23 May 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

LOL, Lou - I was just going to apologize for being obnoxious, and then you one-up me in obnoxiousness by (selectively) finding a quote that you think contradicts what I said. But does it? I don't see how it does.

I'll quote myself (and from about a month ago):

Wow, I've never seen you get so defensive. I just merely asked for a link because I didn't recall a lot of people singing Santiago's praises.

Also, I never included a quote you had made earlier in the season. I provided a link to a thread that discussed this.

Perhaps we can have an update on the obnoxious sccale.

Wow, I've never seen you get so defensive. I just merely asked for a link because I didn't recall a lot of people singing Santiago's praises.

Also, I never included a quote you had made earlier in the season. I provided a link to a thread that discussed this.

Perhaps we can have an update on the obnoxious sccale.

I think you're misinterpreting my tone. I'm not "so" defensive; maybe a touch, but not "so."

I evidently misinterpreted your "link please" though, which I apologize for. The thread you linked to was started by yours truly, so I assumed you were referring to my initial post.

It looks like Matt Leblanc will be starting later this week.

I don't know anything about LeBlanc but it sounds like Santiago is probably, at best, our 7th starter at this point. Shoemaker has been pitching surprisingly well. Hopefully he'll be back at some point.