• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Trout and 2009 Draft; How The Best Was Almost A Yankee

Thank you Yankees for taking texiera

off our hands for your valuable draft pick: )

Unfortunately we traded the fruits of that draft pick for David Freese.

This story comes up frequently, but what doesn't is how Trout was the only player to come to the initial draft at MLB Network and it was awkward until the Angels picked him. They had him in a fake dugout. Surprised this isn't shown more based on his success.

I still can't believe they shitcanned the guy that drafted Mike Trout.

I can. The Angels 2010 draft was a complete fustercluck. Four first round picks with only Kaleb Cowart, Chevy Clarke, Taylor Lindsay, and Ryan Bolden to show. 

Also, aside from Richards, Corbin and Skaggs our system has failed to draft any decent pitchers -- starters or relievers -- in many many years.

Edited by ScottLux

I can. The Angels 2010 draft was a complete fustercluck. Four first round picks with only Kaleb Cowart, Chevy Clarke, Taylor Lindsay, and Ryan Bolden to show. 

Also, aside from Richards, Corbin and Skaggs our system has failed to draft any decent pitchers -- starters or relievers -- in many many years.

Bolden was actually the 5th 1st rounder from that draft, Cam Bedrosian was the second pick for the Angels (29th overall).   As great as the 2009 draft was, the 2010 one may be the worst in Angels history given the 5 picks in the top 40.   Not to make any excuses for the Angels as they could have done much better than Clarke, or Bolden but that 2010 draft is looking sort of shallow as a whole.

The Yankees losing a chance at Trout with their number 25 pick because they signed Tex makes for a more interesting story for Yankee lovin' ESPN but the reality is that the Mets signing KRod is why we also had the number 24 pick. Although the Angels officially picked Grichuk before Trout, had there been only one pick available for the Angels in the first round they would have selected Trout. Trout ended up bring the pick after Grichuk because any one of many reasons that I don't know, some possibilities being as simple as being announced alphabetically or Bane wanting to tease the Yankees since he knew they also liked Trout.

The Angels lost their pick that year because of signing Fuentes. I'm not sure which pick the Halos lost for that brilliant move. 

In 2009 the Angels also had additional supplemental picks because of losing Tex and KRod. Those two loses resulted in the Angels drafting Tyler Skaggs and Garrett Richards, respectively. 

Edited by CF8

Ugh.  Ryan Bolden...Did the Angels finally get rid of him this off-season, or is he going to get a 5th chance to stink up rookie ball this year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Major_League_Baseball_Draft

From Wiki:

Other notable players
NFL players drafted

I hadn't listened to the Eddie Bane podcast, but if memory serves me, had the Angels only had one pick, it would've been Trout. They took Girchuck first but he wasn't first on their board.

Ugh.  Ryan Bolden...Did the Angels finally get rid of him this off-season, or is he going to get a 5th chance to stink up rookie ball this year?

He's gone. Chevy Clarke is still around and not doing anything though! He finally made it to A+!