• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Michael Pineda blatantly cheating again... gets ejected this time

nate

What I don't get is why MLB turned their heads and pretended not to see it on his hand. But when it was on his neck, now they are going to do something about it? Give me a break!

Because there was only visual evidence the first time.  This time the umpires were called out by Farrell and they proved it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is visual evidence not enough to suspend him the first time? Everyone knew it was pine tar, but MLB pretends they don't see it? Why does an opposing manager have to say he is cheating? There is visual evidence of illegal hits in football and hockey all the time that aren't called by the opposing coaches or refs. Yet, the player can still be suspended.

They had no problem suspending Braun, Cabrera and others for PEDs when they had visual evidence but no positive test. They didn't need the umpires or opposing managers to request drug tests.

Baseball and their stupid written "unwritten" rules is making a mockery of the game. Screw the whole tradition BS. Interleague play, extra playoff teams, new divisions, instant replay... it's time to quit playing the "purist" card.

Edited by xboom28x

How is visual evidence not enough to suspend him the first time? Everyone knew it was pine tar, but MLB pretends they don't see it? Why does an opposing manager have to say he is cheating? There is visual evidence of illegal hits in football and hockey all the time that aren't called by the opposing coaches or refs. Yet, the player can still be suspended.

They had no problem suspending Braun, Cabrera and others for PEDs when they had visual evidence but no positive test. They didn't need the umpires or opposing managers to request drug tests.

Baseball and their stupid written "unwritten" rules is making a mockery of the game. Screw the whole tradition BS. Interleague play, extra playoff teams, new divisions, instant replay... it's time to quit playing the "purist" card.

By the time MLB went to check he had rubbed it off.  In order for any action to be taken the umpires have to confirm it and file a report.

They didn't need to confirm PEDs on the players I mentioned... Hitters have one set of rules, pitchers have another.

There was paper evidence that they did.  Seeing something shiny on TV doesn't work.

If nobody checked George Brett's bat in the infamous game but just called it out on TV after the game do you think anything would have been done?

Edited by nate

He could have been suspended, but it wouldn't have changed the call on the field. Other sports do it all the time when illegal plays are noticed on tv but not by the refs or opposing teams.

How is a paper trail with no positive test different from a shiny substance seen on tv. You do realize the rule states ANY substance. Not just pine tar or a particular substance. Why they would need to touch and feel the substance in person to find out what it is makes no sense as the rules are currently stated.

Golf is the only sport I can think of where cheating can be penalized after the fact.

Not to mention there is a big difference from some sort of illegal action being taken and a photograph of shiny stuff.  Everyone knew it was pine tar but you still cant prove it without touching it.  Someone could have some sweat and dirt that caught the light just right to look like an illegal substance and then get suspended wrongly.  You just don't do that.

The thing that pisses me off is the "everyone does it" argument.  Bullshit, not everyone does it, maybe a lot do it, but that still leaves the ones that don't at a disadvantage and either forces them to cheat or suffer.  If so many people do it then make it legal, otherwise get better at enforcing it.

Completely agree on changing the rules if baseball wants it that way. I'm fine with doctoring the baseballs. I'm fine with PEDs. I'm not a purist. If people want to do that to their bodies, by all means do it. I know that not everyone can afford PEDs so it wouldn't make it fair, but no one was screaming that while everyone knew it was happening.

Damn, 10 game suspension. Hahah, do not disrespect the game!

I don't get it, that's been the norm.

I forget the guy that got caught before Donnelly, but him and Peralta appealed to 8 games and Donnelly did his 10 games. 

Pretty standard and expected.

Pineda probably thought it was safe, maybe he thought the Red Sox wouldnt complain to cover their own asses.  I hope this ups the gamesmanship between the two teams, it would be awfully funny to watch them nit-pick at each other over every single thing.

Aren't there games long enough?