• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Joe Blanton Retires

Chuck

Yeah, sorry Chuck but he didn't retire.  He may at the end of the season but if he retired now he would lose all his guaranteed $$.

I don't think so.  the angels terminated the contract so he can do whatever he wants and they are still obligated to it.  If he retired and the halos still had him under contract to play, then it would be different. 

I hope a media outlet provides an account of what exactly happens in this situation -- do the Halos get any salary relief (probably not).

Not sure about accepting ( or refusing) a minor league assignment, I would think as a 10-5 player (ten years in big leagues, five with same club something like that) that Blanton would be able to refuse a minor league assignment and maintain his guaranteed contract amount.........also Halos DFA'd him so I think that frees him up as well.

anyway, hope there's a report on what the financial aspect of this is.........

in one way, the speculation on this thread provides some rationale as to why Blanton even accepted a minor league deal with the A's in the first place -- I couldn't figure out why he would do that if he had a guaranteed contract.............

that's kind of a bullshit loophole in the system no? 

So he sucks tremendously for the halos and has the power to refuse a minor league assignment and asks for his release instead.  He gets released and picked up by the A's where he accepts a minor league assignment where he pitches in two games and then retires.  If he accepts the minor league assignment with the halos and retires before getting released, I think he forfeits the money. 

I don't think it's bullshit. The system works in favor for both sides....just like Trout being underpaid the past three years. Just a time where the player gets one over on the team.

@JeffFletcherOCR: Joe Blanton has retired. Had been pitching for A's AAA team. Yes, #Angels still owe him all of his contract. Since they released him first.

There it is there. Ugh for all the money  we owe him. Still mystified why JD signed him to a 2 year contract, let alone signed him period.

Only 33 years old. I kinda feel bad for him.

What if... what if our relentless mocking of him led to his retirement?

The chain of events:

Supreme suckage --> relentless mocking  -->  more suckage in the minors  -->  retirement

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

So, while we're sitting here posting furiously about Blanton, and getting paid nothing, Joe is sitting at home making around $52,000 each game to do nothing.

At least he's not going to cost us a chance at the playoffs this year.

Try to think of Blanton as being paid $52K per game NOT to cost us the playoffs this year.

You're welcome.

Meh, in the grand scheme of things, his contract doesn't bother me because we are off the hook at the end of the season. In comparison to Wells, Pujols, and maybe Hamilton (he showed signs of turning it around, hopefully the injury doesn't throw him back), eating Blanton's contract is olay. JD took a shot in the dark at a crappy pitcher, but I wouldn't consider this contract crippling at all.

Here is an article from Bleacher Report, which calls his status "unclear", but says that he has left Oakland's AAA affiliate Sacramento.

One priceless comment, from CBS Sports' John Heyman: "Say what you want about Joe Blanton, but the man made $47 million, most of it long after he ceased being good."

Did you hear this from your sources within the organization Chuck?  Just Googled it and no mention that I can find online.

He actually pitched decently in his last start here in Vegas 4/10.  5 2/3 IP, 1ER, 1BB, 6K.

Nothing seemed valedictory about the performance...

Yeah I was told by my source earlier today. This source is always spot on.

Jeff Fletcher then confirmed after checking his sources. 

Here is an article from Bleacher Report, which calls his status "unclear", but says that he has left Oakland's AAA affiliate Sacramento.

One priceless comment, from CBS Sports' John Heyman: "Say what you want about Joe Blanton, but the man made $47 million, most of it long after he ceased being good."

Never rely on the Bleacher Report for any newsworthy item. It will be posted on forums and twitter before they get it. 

Sounds like Joe has a really good agent.

Getting him signed for millions when just about everyone knew he was sub-par and the hope of him being good again was very slim.