• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What to do about the bullpen?

Agree, if we didn't have such an utterly woeful track record of developing relievers over the last decade or so we'd be more willing to give the benefit of the doubt. 

Yeah, for me buying into the idea that Yoslan Herrera is being called up because he's somehow different than the trainwreck of a pitcher that last appeared in the majors, instead of him being called up because this team just isn't run very well would require giving the organization a lot of benefit of the doubt that they quite frankly haven't earned in a long time.

Edited by jshep

Or maybe he's still awful just like he always has been, and this organization is just terrible at evaluating bullpen arms.

If you choose to look at it this way, go right ahead. I'm sure you sleep well at night too. 

You cannot blame Dipoto on Madson and Burnett. He did great at plucking DDLR from the Rays last year. 

The bullpen is about a half a season away from being good. The Angels did not have the money to spend 10 million a year on a Brian Wilson or some of these other guys. 

We've developed some pretty electric arms that are on the way, but not for a couple months. 

Wait, why can't we blame Dipoto for Madson and Burnett? Last I checked, he was the one who signed both of them.

And we can also blame Dipoto for building bullpens that are almost entirely reliant on aging(Isringhausen), injured(Madson and Burnett), or just flat out bad(Salas!, also Isringhausen) relievers as well as home-grown "talent" like Jepsen, Kohn, Carpenter, etc.

Edited by jshep

I am totally on board with this type of move.  You have to start throwing some different shit against the wall instead of the same old shit.  Who cares what he did in the majors 7 years ago.  By all accounts he's throwing the ball well.  Give the guy a shot.  The downside is that he comes in a does exactly what the other guys have been doing and then we try someone else.  

@JeffFletcherOCR: Yoslan Herrera was in the majors last in 2008 with Pirates #Angels

He's the piece!!

Well maybe since he didn't make it he took the Colon developmental plan.

(juice up, get paid, and hope you don't get caught).   I am good with that!!!!!

I blame dipoto for counting on guys he shouldn't count on.  We crossed our fingers with Madsen last year and Burnett this year.  If these were 'bonus performance' guys then fine.  But they weren't we needed them to be healthy.  If he had an inclination that Burnett wasn't going to be ready then he should have been working on something else.  Once DDLR and Moran got injured, there should have been additional moves.  

there is a chance that one of Salas, Jep and Kohn would have a reasonable season.  To break camp with all three is asking for exactly what we have gotten.  

Alvarez up -- thought this deal for Romine was a good one when we made it and I am not surprised to see Alvarez called up before May.

other guys weren't cutting it so, moving them out and bringing up Herrera and Alvarez makes a lot of sense.

Actually. Alvarez is not only a guy who can be a pre-set up guy pitching an inning or three -- but quite possibly be in the Halos rotation if someone like Santiago falters into May.

Who else do you want them to call up?

They're not going to start Morin, Bedrock's or Alvarez service time clock until later this summer. There's a chance we may see all three of them before the end of the season.

This better not be the case. Little to no reason to worry about a relief pitcher's service time.

What the bleep is a Yoslan Herrera?

Only Scioscia, only Scioscia....fire this fool now!

Former Cuban defector -- hasn't pitched in the majors since 2008, just a little over a year after signing.   Used to be a SP, now pitching out of the pen.   They are still looking for that clean peanut.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Herrera looked good today. That one pitch that didn't get called a strike was just filthy.

Small sample size and all...

So why don't we give a shot to Berg? Let's just get rid of Jepsen, because you know that he won't be used solely as he was today.

Okay, after seeing Herrera sit on 93-95mph with movement and throw a solid curve, I'm willing to give him a chance. Just start him off with easier appearances like this one, and build on them.

He looked pretty sharp from section 313 today but from that angle we couldn't see the breaking stuff but saw he had four speed changes between his pitches. Today was the perfect setting, big lead and no pressure so all he had to do was get three outs. Look forward to seeing more of him.