• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ok, on March 29th, 2014

I think he has earned an extension based on his ability to creatively improve the team. I agree that results should guide his employment, but many of the organizational changes he made make the system better but may not net immediate results. Slow and steady wins the race and Dipoto has demonstrated patience and thoughtfulness in player choices the past year. I see Dipoto getting better because it appears that he is learning from his mistakes, which is a real important quality to have in a GM position.

I think that we want to see that the organization is moving in the right direction.  Unfortunately the scorecard is wins in this business.  I hope that Dipoto is not perceived as some lame duck by other GM's.  These things take time - give Dipoto a couple more years.

He's had one bad season, as far as the record goes, since he has been a GM. However, that one season, lies solely on the pitchers he brought in. Now we can argue that the pitchers he brought in were caused by the fact that they spent a majority of their budget on Hamilton, which probably wasn't his decision. I just really like the new philosophy he has instilled in the minors, and I am pretty sure it will take a number of years before that philosophy, and his drafts come together to where we can see the fruits of his labor. It comes down to confidence. Do you have the confidence he can build a winner, not just at the major league level, but in the area of player development? I say yes.

Do you have the confidence he can build a winner, not just at the major league level, but in the area of player development? I say yes.

The original post and now this one... particularly this question call for people to share opinions, some of which may be unfavorable -- seems like a slippery rope.  But since you asked....  For me it comes down to this..   Is he going to go by his stated vision, or is he going to make moves that fly in the face of everything he's said he believes in?   One of those options should lead to long term success, the other reminds me of Tony Reagins.  I am not expecting instant results, but I am expecting improvement in the areas he says he's attempting to impact and I'm expecting him to follow his game plan.   He's quietly built up the MLB depth end of the business, so I'm optimistic. 

BTW, he's had one bad season... out of two.   I get the point you were trying to make but that may have been a weak way of making it, and I say that in a joking friendly manner Strad.  Of course you could always argue he's batting .500

Yes and no. Showing confidence in your GM sends the word to the other GMs he is here to stay to negotiate and has the backing and authority to make any deal, deals which reflect his plan. They can then look to the Angels to make deals that they know will not be dead ends, deals like St.Louis and Arizona made.

I agree, a longer term contract extension would show the league, the team, and other GM's, that the owner has unwavering confidence in the person being awarded the contract. The fact Arte hasn't offered Jerry such an extension sends the message to me that he is not as confident in Jerry and/or his vision as some here think he should be. Though who knows, he could extend him tomorrow or next week, and all this will be moot?

I do get what a few are saying about the continuity of a team and how it is necessary to give Jerry, or any other GM, a certain amount of time to see his/their visions through. I don’t see how a constant turnover of GM’s is good for any team; it lends itself to insecurities within, and that’s not healthy for any business.

As far as all the speculation as to who signed who and who was more or less responsible for the players lack of performance over the years is just that, hearsay and speculation. From my (a fan of the Angels) perspective, what I perceive is that Arte has chosen to wait and see how it plays out. A choice I applaud, for now. 

No. End of the years results are what matter. It's a results oriented business. I like his moves and like him personally, but business wise I would see how the season plays out.

Actually, the question is an odd one seeing that he was almost fired at the start of the offseason based on results. Signing some players isn't enough.

B being results oriented.  Odd from someone who spends [spent] a lot of time on the felt.

B being results oriented. Odd from someone who spends [spent] a lot of time on the felt.

Ha, fair play.

Results oriented business whereas the felt is more of a long run understanding. I think a final table in 20 tourneys would be good, but 1 playoff birth in 20 years wouldn't.

But yeah, I agree. I'm not results oriented guy.

Ps. Did you get my message? I got a new phone and it popped up on mine and I responded.