• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How to order the perfect steak

Wish they went into things that complement a steak better.  Wines, sides, even appetizers.

Went to a Japanese Restaurant I frequent, and the owner had me try a new sake they got in with the appetizer we ordered.  It was just an amazing pairing, that I've never experienced before.  Just brought out the flavor of the sake to levels I didn't think possible.  

The perfect home-made steak (for me).

Fire up the grill on high.  Remove steak from fridge 45 minutes prior to cooking. Salt and pepper to taste, then wrap with plastic wrap and leave on counter until ready to use.

Using tongs, take a paper towel soaked with oil and wipe down the grill.  Place steak on grill for 2 minutes.  Turn 90* and move to an unused part of the grill that's been wiped down with oil. Cook for another 2 minutes. Flip steak and place on another part of the grill that is oiled.  Cook for 2 minutes. Turn 90* and cook for another 2 minutes.

Remove from grill and immediately cover with aluminum foil.  Rest for 10 minutes.

Serve with a simple salad, Baked Potato, and pickled watermelon rind.

Sounds good Eric.

I buy the Mortons pre marinated Tri Tip from Costco and cook as noted below

Soak some oak whiskey barrel wood chips for 30 minutes.  Wrap in foil and stab a few holes in the foil.  Lift grill and place wood chips on back burner.

Fire up grill to 600+. Lift grill and place wood chips on back burner. 

Sear 1 minute and turn 90 degrees, sear for another minute and flip over, repeat.  After flipping three times, turn off all but back burner, reduce back burner to ~50%, leave grill lid open for about a minute to let excess heat escape.

Use oil soaked paper towel to oil a large enough area for the steak at the front of the grill and cook for ~20 minutes.  Temp should be ~275.

At 20 minutes flip and cook for another 20 minutes.  Once done set on plate wrap loosely in foil and let rest for 15 minutes.  Slice thinly against the grain to hold in juices.  Enjoy.

By cooking in non direct heat it gets a nice slow roast on it, combine with the wood chips you get a super tender and great tasting steak.

I don't need to read an article about it... if you order it any more done than medium rare, you don't know what good steak is.

Don't tell CaliAngel, he thinks you will die of food poisoning if you cook your meat anything less than well done.

Place steak on grill for 2 minutes.  Turn 90* and move to an unused part of the grill that's been wiped down with oil. Cook for another 2 minutes. Flip steak and place on another part of the grill that is oiled.  Cook for 2 minutes. Turn 90* and cook for another 2 minutes.

I'm a bbq novice.  What is the point of moving the steak to different parts of the grill? 

I'm a bbq novice.  What is the point of moving the steak to different parts of the grill? 

The part of the grill that the steak was on initially will have burned grease on the slats from the steak. Moving it to a different spot prevents this from being deposited on the other side - or at least that's my take on it. Some people don't care about this, while others do.

It has to do with the steak sticking to the grill, which is the whole point of using the oil (like in a frying pan). By moving the steak to a new part of the grill, you ensure that the new part of the grill is oiled., thereby the steak doesn't stick.

This has nothing to do with using different temperatures on different parts of the grill which, if you're cooking a simple steak, is unnecessary.

Tri-tips, roasts, chicken, etc are different since they have irregular shapes. Since steaks are flat and relatively thin (at least thin enough that you can use one temperature across the whole grill) the movement is all about the grill marks that make the steak look just as good as it tastes.

If you double back on a used section without re-oiling it, the steak will stick and then tear, releasing moister and making the steak taste drier than it should. Remember, the juiciness of the steak is just as much a part of the experience as anything else, hence wrapping it in foil for 10 minutes at the end as opposed to just putting it on a plate immediately and cutting into it.

The only "sauce" I get on my steak is the overflow juice from the pickled watermellon rind, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.  While entirely welcome, it's completely unnecessary.

The thing about a steak is that, if you need to cook it past Medium-Rare, you shouldn't be eating that steak in the first place.  Spend the extra $2 and get a better quality steak.