• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cops are great

Adam

6 hours ago, Angels N Skins said:

He doesn't fit the media's narrative and it won't get anyone stirred up.

What narrative?

They kill an innocent dude, people post on Facebook how wrong it is, no one does anything, everyone forgets a week later, and it happens again.

My crew is 3 black men. They are all retired military who work their asses off and have nicer houses and cars than I ever will. They exchange recipes and have credit score competitions. Their biggest fear, whether legit or not, is white cops. They all have their stories and they all are worried about being the black guy in the Lexus who gets pulled over by a nervous white cop. They are even more concerned about this happening to one of their 20-something sons who might not be as willing to take it quietly. For them it's frustrating to have done everything the right way and acted as solid citizens and served the country but knowing that they will always have to live with these fears.

27 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

My crew is 3 black men. They are all retired military who work their asses off and have nicer houses and cars than I ever will. They exchange recipes and have credit score competitions. Their biggest fear, whether legit or not, is white cops. They all have their stories and they all are worried about being the black guy in the Lexus who gets pulled over by a nervous white cop. They are even more concerned about this happening to one of their 20-something sons who might not be as willing to take it quietly. For them it's frustrating to have done everything the right way and acted as solid citizens and served the country but knowing that they will always have to live with these fears.

Your "crew"?

34 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Maybe, just MAYBE, they should blame their fellow black people for making cops think they are all criminals and stop acting like cops have no reason to be suspicious of black people.  

But, that would be a disappointing, yet realistic practicality, so I would understand not wanting to admit to it.

Still not clear on why being black makes the behavior of people they've never met their responsibility.

10 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I'm the lead and they are the crew members. When you enter the workforce these technical terms won't seem so strange and foreign.

"Crew members" is generally what I assume McDonald's employees call each other. That and gay sailors. Fortunately I am neither. I am part of the "workforce" though, unlike 80% of the people protesting at these rallies.

11 hours ago, calscuf said:

Actually I'd like to see KBC+ which adjusts for population.

Blacks are about 12% and whites are 62%.  So they are actually being killed at a higher rate by cops, but the you have to get into things like who is actually more likely to be committing crimes, who is more likely to resist arrest, etc.

I won't doubt that blacks take more shit from cops.  But I can also understand that, right or wrong, cops are generally more suspicious of blacks, add that with some overt racism and boom.  That being said, those numbers aren't like 20x when adjusted, maybe a bit above 2x.

African Americans who represent about 12% of the population have been responsible for ~28% of violent crimes the last so many years.  Whites/Latinos who represent 80% of the population have been responsible for 69% of violent crimes over the same period.  If we look at the graphic Nate posted there's obviously a large group where no race is identified but based on the totals in 2014 African Americans who represented 12% of the population and were responsible for 28% of violent crimes represented 21% of the individuals killed by police.  I remember this discussion coming up last year where some article pointed out that Whites/Latinos were responsible for the highest percent of total crime in the US yet others pointed out as a % of population their crime rate was much lower than that of African Americans.  Regardless this type of stuff isn't what the media wants to discuss because they'd rather rile people up more.

8 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Sorry but that mentality is part of the problem.  I'm white, like a mix of Europeans who keep sunblock companies in business white and I've been harassed by cops on more than one occasion.  What does anyone think is going to come from mouthing off to or resisting against a cop?  It's not like running your mouth at school where all a teacher can do is send you to the principal.  You aren't going to win that battle. 

25 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Sorry but that mentality is part of the problem.  I'm white, like a mix of Europeans who keep sunblock companies in business white and I've been harassed by cops on more than one occasion.  What does anyone think is going to come from mouthing off to or resisting against a cop?  It's not like running your mouth at school where all a teacher can do is send you to the principal.  You aren't going to win that battle. 

That's part of pretty much every conflict in the history of man Young men of any race have never been known for reasoned responses. These guys know that and it's why they're concerned. Nobody is trying to excuse or justify anything. Just living in the real world where young men tend to run their mouths when they shouldn't.

9 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Right but certain young men run their mouths more or think it's okay to talk back to a cop.  They have the same issue with anyone in a position of authority and dealing with assholes or bullies in a position of authority is just a part of life.   

They don't want to speak proper English, respect authority, listen to their teachers, obey police, etc, because it isn't cool to obey the man. Then they complain that there are no jobs available or that corporate America doesn't respect their culture.