• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cops are great

Adam

The officer's job is to protect and serve. It's not an easy job, it's a job very few people are qualified for...it's a job I doubt I could do...but here's the thing. They know that going in. It's not like a job listing on Craig's list that says..."work from home, make thousands of dollars".

People who want to be cops, should understand they are going to have to deal with the public...sometimes people who don't like them. They are going to deal with the worst that our society has to offer....and if they can't handle that, then don't be a police officer. Unfortunately I think there are a number of people who go in to that line of work not to protect and serve, but rather as a power trip.

Just watched the video of the dude in Apple Valley. After laughing when he was on the horse my jaw dropped to see how he was handled. There is no justification for that at all. When a guy is on the ground obviously listening to orders given and put his hands behind his back there is nothing else to do but get on him and cuff him. I hope all of those officers are suspended/fired that laid a finger on him.

If police department's want to clean up their image they need to send a message by weeding out the bad apples like these ones. Letting them get away with it just adds to their PR problems. I live in Apple Valley and the Sheriff's department here generally conduct themselves in a professional manner so this is disheartening to see.

You're right AnS, this is a great example of a police force coming out and saying, "we will defend officers that deserve to be defended until we're blue in the face, this incident though cannot be defended and the officers will be...."

They need to make it where the public knows that cops are not untouchable when warranted

definitley because they are being captured by some electronic device. Once that gets out it leads to public outrage (understandably)

The police just can't sweep everything under the rug anymore. It just amazes me that after so many incidents, cops continue to do the same stupid crap without hesitation.

Hard to just suppress training after so many years.

10 deputies placed on leave. Let's see if they get punished in any sort of legitimate way or if they just get assigned to desk duty for a little while.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-bernardino-deputies-kick-man-pursuit-20150409-story.html

How dumb is it that they did it with a news camera overhead too? They will be on paid admin or desk leave until after the investigation. Department's still have to follow the Peace Officer's Bill of Rights.

It's not the cops' job to give bad guys what they deserve. It's their job to hand them over to the next link in the justice system. Anyone who has access to the internet has seen video evidence that cops will kill people and walk away unscathed. This makes running seem like a lesser of two evils sometimes. At least show a willingness to punish offending cops and maybe they gain back some trust.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/19/us/ohio-new-richmond-officer-does-not-shoot-suspect/

Cop probably should have shot him but I think it's fair to give props when they are do. They don't always make mistakes.

most don't actually.   It is the perception that they don't do enough about the ones that do.

Edited by mtangelsfan

Happened back in 2013, but still: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-florida-deputy-shoots-dontrell-stephens-20150424-story.html#page=1

"He thought the way Stephens got off his bike was suspicious. And four seconds after Lin go out of his patrol car, he shot Stephens four times, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. Lin said he opened fire because Stephens was reaching in his back waistband, possibly for a gun. There was no gun. An internal investigation and the State Attorney's Office have both cleared Lin of the September 2013 use of force. It was a good shot, they ruled." 

Can't tell from the video if he was reaching in his waist or not, but it looked to me like he turned to run away and then was shot in the back. All started because the cop said he wasn't bicycling properly and the way he got off the bike was suspicious. 

Does the military still have the rule of "Don't fire until fired upon?"

Maybe cops need this rule applied to them. I'm sure some will disagree but why shouldn't we expect it from our police if we expect it from our military? It's probably more complicated than I am making it to be but thought I'd throw it out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Gwinnett County, GA — Clayton County Sheriff, Victor Hill, has not been charged with a crime and was allowed to leave the scene after shooting a woman in the stomach on Sunday.

According to Gwinnett County Police Sgt. Brian Doan, Hill accidentally shot a woman at a model home located at 2567 Britt Trail Drive in Lawrenceville at around 7 p.m. Sunday.

The woman Hill shot is in critical condition at Gwinnett Medical Center. She was the real estate agent who was showing the home. How someone can “accidentally” shoot a woman as she shows a house remains a mystery.

When police arrived on the scene they said Hill refused to cooperate with the investigation and did not give a statement nor answer any questions. Citing the fact that he was the sheriff, Hill simply left the scene.

Let that sink in.

=========================

i'm wondering where the DA is, and why s/he hasn't stepped in already. wow, that's just an unbelievable amount of arrogance by the sheriff.