• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cops are great

Adam

1 hour ago, m0nkey said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/us/video-is-released-in-police-shooting-of-dylan-noble-in-fresno.html

Unarmed man shot by police after not following orders.  We don't care because he's white

The first line of the article you linked says it sparked protests and calls for a federal investigation. What's your threshold for showing that you care?

36 minutes ago, Kevin said:

There's always more to the story but on the surface how does not complying with orders warrant an automatic death sentence? 

I agree 100% that the shoot to kill mentality is disturbing. On the other hand, if someone says stop or they will shoot it's probably best to take him at his word. 

from a comment i read on reddit

Either way, cops arrest 11 to 13 million people annually, and only about 1,000 peopleare killed by cops every year. Statistics show this country is not overrun with serial killing racist cops.

Cops have a dangerous job to do. They encounter physical aggression, resistance to being arrested, almost no one with a positive attitude, and the danger of death if they don't protect themselves- every day.

People who like to bitch about cops, talk about their negative run-ins with cops don't understand that cops are not here to kiss your ass. They have a job to do. If you encounter a cop, let them do their fucking job. I've never had a positive experience with a cop either, and I don't expect to. Any time I see a cop, it is usually a good sign I'm having a shitty day. I can't remember a time when I thought, "That cop was cool." And I don't expect to. But I'm not going to put my life on the line to do their job, because I know what a shitty job it must be.

As a white person, I've had the white privilege of getting my door kicked in and my apt searched because they had the wrong door. I've been pulled over and had my car searched because I was driving on a road that drug smugglers use and I looked like a drug smuggler. I've been pulled over or investigated for not signalling a right turn, parking on the street and sitting in my car for apparently no reason, and I've even witnessed cops not arresting people they should arrest.

Guess what. I still understand they all have to do their jobs the way they see fit. I know I can complain to their superior, to my city council, to the County Sheriff. I can write letters to the editor of the local newspaper, contact my public representatives with my concerns. This is my right.

There is no common sense behind the decision to resist, spit on officers, or refuse to follow their orders. It's foolish and dangerous. I always see somebody posting, every time footage of a police shooting occurs, something like, "Yeah, he was resisting/reaching in his pocket/punching the cop. Does he deserve to die??" Maybe that was a question the person getting himself killed should have asked himself. If he doesn't value his own life enough to practice some common sense, why should the rest of us value his life for him? Same with his family. NOW your mom loves you and wants to go on TV talking about what a good son you were? Where the fuck was she when you got suspended from school as early as junior high for assaulting a teacher?

Criminal thug culture is not just a black people problem, it is a problem for every criminal and the people who care about him. That culture isn't something police can change, they can only adapt in order to increase their own safety. Police should NOT die because some thug doesn't want to go to jail for a crime he doesn't think he should have to be charged for.

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

There's always more to the story but on the surface how does not complying with orders warrant an automatic death sentence? 

It doesn't. It just exponentially increase the likelihood of a cop shooting you. 

6 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I agree 100% that the shoot to kill mentality is disturbing. On the other hand, if someone says stop or they will shoot it's probably best to take him at his word. 

I agree. Somehow we have to get away from that though just due to the simple fact of we have no idea why a person may resist in the first place. Could be a mental issue going on, drugs in the system, a mouthy idiot who hates authority, etc. 

It just seems it is the first resort instead of the last. 

13 hours ago, arch stanton said:

The first line of the article you linked says it sparked protests and calls for a federal investigation. What's your threshold for showing that you care?

Al & Jesse.

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

I agree. Somehow we have to get away from that though just due to the simple fact of we have no idea why a person may resist in the first place. Could be a mental issue going on, drugs in the system, a mouthy idiot who hates authority, etc. 

It just seems it is the first resort instead of the last. 

we only hear about the ones where a cop ends up shooting the guy. i wonder how many times a cop doesn't shoot a suspect. 

it seems that there are those who blame only the police, and those who blame only those who get shot. i'm glad to see that there are more people coming out and speaking up about how both sides bear responsibility. it's not simply one side or the other is to blame.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

I think we are going to start seeing a lot of backlash against BLM. More racial division and a worsening of race relations, unfortunately.

I would hope so, but I doubt it'll happen.