• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Clubhouse Mix

Docwaukee

Interesting mix of guys being brought to spring this year.  Granted, a good portion of it could be related to the poor farm system and just needing capable replacement players, but it makes me wonder if some are being brought around for their leadership.  Like Gomes in Boston.

I think a guy like Pena is a lock for this team regardless of how he performs this spring. 

Think the bench is Shuck, Conger/Iannetta, Romine, and Pena. Green can go down the minors to work on his defense at second, third, and maybe the corner outfield spots (he'd be an extremely effective bench player against lefties with Hamilton, Calhoun, and Ibanez on the team.) McDonald is 39 years old, I just think he's done. Pena can at least play first and might provide some pop. Spring training should be interesting. 

Interesting mix of guys being brought to spring this year.  Granted, a good portion of it could be related to the poor farm system and just needing capable replacement players, but it makes me wonder if some are being brought around for their leadership.  Like Gomes in Boston.

I think a guy like Pena is a lock for this team regardless of how he performs this spring. 

I think you are definitely onto something. Noticed it myself last week and wrote about it. The signings are beyond the point of being a coincidence. After a lot rumors last year that the clubhouse was lacking in leadership, it looks like Dipoto is trying to address that since at least one of these guys should make the team (along with Ibanez, another "good clubhouse guy"). Very interesting to see Dipoto pursue the fabled "team chemistry" even though he is more of a SABR guy.

Dipoto said in an interview that some of these signings were to generate a competitive atmosphere during spring training.  Couldn't hurt.

Aaaand, then they'll watch Pujols and Hammy sleepwalk through the season.  And the pitching coach who sleeps like a baby at night.

emergency plan incase the 0.1% in pujols foot is bigger than he thought

Oh yeah, for sure.

Just saying that with a healthy roster out of Spring Training, I'm not so sure about using one of the probably 4 bench spots on a lefty-swinging 1B only backup is a great use of a spot when you've got other guys competing for that same spot that can play 1B and more.

Especially with Pena's power drying up some these past two years.

Edited by jshep