AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
Search | Home | Chat | Blog | Store | Interviews | History Forums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I don’t always know what I’m talking about, but I know I’m right. - Muhammad Ali
- (Added by: Chilidaviseyez)

A True Story
Moderators: tomsred, Adam, IEBRUIN, Bruce Nye, Kurt Swanson, Blarg, mancini79

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   AngelsWin -> Los Angeles Angels DailyMessage format

Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-02-04 4:33 PM (#1933533)
Subject: A True Story

Hall of Famer

A True Story

By David Saltzer, AngelsWin.com Senior Writer

How do you know if you are raising your children right? It’s a difficult question, one that every parent struggles with from the moment of childbirth.

Last year, my eldest, Michael, entered Kindergarten. When he started school, he could recognize all of his letters, which as a parent, made me proud, but he could not write all of them.

The first letter that he could recognize was a capital “A” because every time we drove by Angels Stadium he would shout out “I see the Big ‘A’ daddy”. It was the first landmark and the first letter that he knew. From birth, I have raised him to be an Angels fan, like his daddy, and every “A” was an “A” for Angels.

One of the requirements for Kindergarteners is that they are able to write their names. It’s an important skill—one can’t go far in life without knowing how to write one’s name.

As Michael learned to write his name, he always wrote it uniquely. Instead of Michael, he wrote MichAel. This left my wife and me perplexed. At first we thought it was because he was learning to write both his upper and lower case letters and that he was using them interchangeably. His name wasn’t the only word where he mixed capital and lower case letters.

But, as the year went on, the way he wrote his name never changed, even though he stopped making that mistake with other words. He even mastered using capital letters at the start of sentences. And yet, he always wrote his name as MichAel.

Try as we could, my wife and I could not break this habit in him. By the end of the year, this was becoming a concern for my wife and me. We were wondering if he was having trouble with his name or on the correct use of the upper and lower case “a”. No matter what we did, he always kept writing his name as MichAel.

Finally, for his birthday in April, I took Michael to an Angels game—his first game of the season. As we drove to the stadium, I expected to hear Michael shout out that he saw the Big “A” from the freeway like usual. However, this time, as I took him to the ballpark, he said something different. Instead of yelling “I see the Big ‘A’ daddy!” he shouted out “I see the Big ‘A’ Daddy, and it’s just like the one in my name!”

And then it all made sense. My son is an Angel.

I think I’m raising him right.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tdawg87
Posted 2013-02-04 4:45 PM (#1933545 - in reply to #1933533)
Subject: Re: A True Story

Hall of Fame

Awesome. Great article Dave.
Jammer36
Posted 2013-02-04 4:53 PM (#1933551 - in reply to #1933533)

Arkansas Travelers

Beautiful, hope my future children have the same passion for the team like me and all of you.
ELEVEN
Posted 2013-02-04 5:00 PM (#1933555 - in reply to #1933533)

Hall of Fame

Just don't let him go to the Dodgers when he hits puberty...
Angel Dog and Beer
Posted 2013-02-04 5:01 PM (#1933556 - in reply to #1933533)
Subject: RE: A True Story

Hall of Fame

Great story, David. Kids are all kinds of awesome.

Yesterday, my 3 year old daughter asked me to go play baseball with her. She has a heavy foam bat and ball in which I've taught her the basics of hitting and pitching. So when she sets up her batting stance and I get ready to pitch, she has to stop me to tell me, "Daddy, I'M the Angels, YOU'RE the Giants" (my bro-in-law's favorite team). Yup, she's an Angels fan.
Blarg
Posted 2013-02-04 5:25 PM (#1933567 - in reply to #1933556)

Hall of Fame

I bet she beat you in 7 games but it was really over in six.
brianvargo
Posted 2013-02-04 6:00 PM (#1933576 - in reply to #1933533)

Yesterday, my six-year-old daughter Novalyne declared that when she grows up, she wants to be "the first girl Angel." She then returned her attention to the Super Bowl and yelled out, "Yay, football!"

Her first favorite Angel was Hideki Matsui, whom she called "Ducky." Actually, she really loved Vladimir Guerrero before that, but couldn't say her own name at that time, let alone his.

Brian
Troll Daddy
Posted 2013-02-04 6:41 PM (#1933586 - in reply to #1933576)

My six year son is named Derek ... until recently he spelled his name Derek Jeter.
deepdrive
Posted 2013-02-04 10:14 PM (#1933694 - in reply to #1933586)

Big League Angels

Troll Daddy - 2013-02-04 6:41 PM

My six year son is named Derek ... until recently he spelled his name Derek Jeter.

Good parenting can fix that.
kbrents21
Posted 2013-02-04 10:28 PM (#1933700 - in reply to #1933694)

Orem Owlz

U know when I grew up my dad left i was 6 years old it really crushed me he never called or came to see me. I remember this new guy in my life about 6 months later and the first place we went was angels game and he took me alot and we bonded bigtime I remember it like yesterday but is was 29 years ago. We must have gone to 10 games that year It was the only thing that really kept me from hurting all the time. The one thing That i still find funny? I was always wondering why people would Boooo when we had bob Boone at bat I get it now. Will my Mom and him split up but he went to most of my ball games and he will alaways be my REAL dad..... I don't have a kid yet but I feel U get so much from it togather
vlad27
Posted 2013-02-04 11:01 PM (#1933711 - in reply to #1933533)

All-Star

My 8 year old daughter has been spotting the Big A for years now every time we get near the stadium on our drives from AZ " look daddy the Angels A" is a staple of how we know we are close to where we want to be - she also spots the one at Tempe Diablo since we drive past that one a ton
hellowincolumn
Posted 2013-02-05 1:29 AM (#1933728 - in reply to #1933533)

AZL Angels

Wonderful story Dave, thanks for sharing.

The first words I taught my first grandson were "Cowboys stink". I used to have him say it daily (he and his parents lived with me until he was 3 or so). His parents worked right next to the old Cowboy Stadium, so I took him up there often to see them at their lunch hour. Every time he saw that stadium he would hold his nose. It really ticked off his parents. I lost out, he is 15 now and a Cowboy fan.
ELEVEN
Posted 2013-02-05 5:59 AM (#1933744 - in reply to #1933533)

Hall of Fame

Gotta watch em, they'll turn on ya in their teens.
Dave Saltzer
Posted 2013-02-05 8:28 AM (#1933798 - in reply to #1933728)

All-Star

hellowincolumn - 2013-02-05 1:29 AM Wonderful story Dave, thanks for sharing. The first words I taught my first grandson were "Cowboys stink". I used to have him say it daily (he and his parents lived with me until he was 3 or so). His parents worked right next to the old Cowboy Stadium, so I took him up there often to see them at their lunch hour. Every time he saw that stadium he would hold his nose. It really ticked off his parents. I lost out, he is 15 now and a Cowboy fan.

Thanks! I love my boys, and baseball is one of the loves I hope to share with them always. When I was a teenager and couldn't talk to my dad about anything, we could always talk about the Angels.

Primitive
Posted 2013-02-05 8:39 AM (#1933802 - in reply to #1933533)

Big League Angels

Great story!
JimC
Posted 2013-02-05 9:20 AM (#1933825 - in reply to #1933744)

ELEVEN - 2013-02-05 5:59 AM Gotta watch em, they'll turn on ya in their teens.

Soooo true. Had three go through the black hole already and on the precipice of my last child’s journey through the dark side. Good times ahead.

The good news is that someone eventually pops out other side. 

Angel Dog and Beer
Posted 2013-02-05 9:34 AM (#1933836 - in reply to #1933567)

Hall of Fame

Blarg - 2013-02-04 5:25 PM

I bet she beat you in 7 games but it was really over in six.

Funny thing is, my wife handed me the game ball after she relieved me in the seventh. I though the win was mine.
Dave Saltzer
Posted 2013-02-05 9:37 AM (#1933841 - in reply to #1933836)

All-Star

By the way, I am very much enjoying the stories from all of you about parenting and baseball with your kids.

Keep 'em coming!

Jimmag
Posted 2013-02-05 12:14 PM (#1934035 - in reply to #1933533)

Big League Angels

Angel Tickets $90.00
Parking $10.00
Food and souvenirs $60.00
Seeing MichAel write his name with a capital A... priceless

Great artilce Dave this made my day.

ettin
Posted 2013-02-05 1:47 PM (#1934103 - in reply to #1933533)

All-Star

'A'wesome 'A'rticle D'A've!
Vegas Halo Fan
Posted 2013-02-05 8:52 PM (#1934389 - in reply to #1933798)

Hall of Fame

Dave Saltzer - 2013-02-05 8:28 AM

hellowincolumn - 2013-02-05 1:29 AM Wonderful story Dave, thanks for sharing. The first words I taught my first grandson were "Cowboys stink". I used to have him say it daily (he and his parents lived with me until he was 3 or so). His parents worked right next to the old Cowboy Stadium, so I took him up there often to see them at their lunch hour. Every time he saw that stadium he would hold his nose. It really ticked off his parents. I lost out, he is 15 now and a Cowboy fan.

Thanks! I love my boys, and baseball is one of the loves I hope to share with them always. When I was a teenager and couldn't talk to my dad about anything, we could always talk about the Angels.

I remember sitting beside my father's bed at night while he told me stories of the baseball heroes of his youth. As a Cardinals fan, most of the players he mentioned were Redbirds, but he told me about many others. When I was eight he took me to a spring training game in Jacksonville, FL (where I grew up) to see his all-time favorite player, the late Stan Musial. I still have the program I got Musial's autograph on after the game.

Great memories. Every year, when spring training rolls around, I miss asking my father, "How are the Cardinals gonna do this year?" He is responsible for my lifelong love affair with this great game.
jdodd
Posted 2013-02-05 9:44 PM (#1934405 - in reply to #1933533)

In 2002 my youngest son was 4, he knew and would recite the Angels lineup- batting order-players name and number. but when he counted 11-20 he would not say 15 or 17. it would be 11-12-13-14-Tim Salmon-16-Darin Erstad-18-19-20..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Angelswin.com
(Delete all cookies set by this site)