AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
Search | Home | Chat | Blog | Store | Interviews | History Forums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Yeah, kicking the wall. I don't want to kick the wall anymore, jam my toe. We call it toe jam (laughs). Pretty bad."- Torii Hunter on hurting his toe at Safeco Field
- (Added by: Chonito)

MWAH Top 30 Prospects
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   AngelsWin -> Los Angeles Angels Prospect TalkMessage format

dochalo
Posted 2013-02-10 4:32 PM (#1937689 - in reply to #1937553)
Subject: Re: MWAH Top 30 Prospects

Hall of Fame

ScottyAllenLAAI - 2013-02-10 11:16 AM

Starting Pitching will definitely be a priority. I'm hoping to see a pretty decent college arm selected in the 2nd round, and then let the Angels do their thing from there. If they can get at least one college starting pitcher a la Nick Maronde that could push for a rotation spot in 2 years, I'd feel considerably more confident. When you look at our rotation, there's going to be a steady stream of turnover the next few years and we'll need more than Garrett Richards and Nick Maronde to plug those holes.

1 year - Jason Vargas
2 years - Joe Blanton
3 years - Tommy Hanson
4 years - C.J. Wilson and Jered Weaver

I was thinking the same thing. A maronde type with our first two picks and then best sp on the board mixed in with whatever pen or position player is felt to have slipped into our hands.

I think that by the time years three and four roll around, weaver and Wilson will be 3 and 4 starters and we will have added a front of the rotation fa starter. Maybe two depending on who develops. Weaver could continue to perform at a high level into his mid or late 30's because so much of his game is movement, deception and location. I think Hanson is either going to stick for the full three years or be done after this. 50/50. I also think. Blanton might slide into Williams role next year. So we could need three starters by the end of 2013
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-10 7:28 PM (#1937772 - in reply to #1937689)

All-Star

It's hard to tell, but if I had to throw my predictions out there....

1. Weaver has one last good ace type of season, then becomes a number 3 type of starter for 2014 and 15. 2016, a 4th or 5th starter.
2. Wilson is fully healthy and gives the Angels 3 more years of being a #2/3 starter. His final year he transitions to the bullpen.
3. Hanson will settle into the pitcher he'll be for the foreseeable future this season, which is a #3/4 starter.
4. Blanton will have a decent year this year, but will finish weak, will stumble to begin next year and will lose his spot to Richards by May.
5. Richards will continue to develop in AAA, and get better as the year progresses. Will begin 2014 as a swing starter, turn into a decent #4 starter. 2015 he'll be a 3rd starter. 2016 he'll be a #2 starter.
6. Maronde wil have a solid season in AA in 2013, will be pretty decent considering the environment in 2014 in AAA and take over in rotation in 2015, will be a #3/4 starter type.
dochalo
Posted 2013-02-10 10:18 PM (#1937862 - in reply to #1914713)

Hall of Fame

I'm less optimistic about Wilson and Hanson. I think CJ ends up in the pen by 2015 where he does very well for at least 2 years. Not because he loses stuff, but because the injuries nag.
I am very concerned about hanson. Any time a guy that has performed that well early in his career is essentially given up on, it bothers me. Kazmirish to be honest. He's been a little worse every year. I worry that his arm is done.

I am more optimistic about Weaver, Maronde and Richards. I think Richards progresses more quickly than that. He didn't really walk guys in the minors and he's nasty. I think his biggest obstacle is between his ears. He either ends up bouncing around without finding himself or a #1/2 within 2 years. I a picking the latter but I am likely in the very slight minority in doing so.
Maronde will be a #2/3. I am sure of this. I don't know why I am sure, I just am.
Weaver will be a #2/3 into his mid to late 30's. He's never been a velocity guy. Has always out performed his peripherals, and he'll continue to mystify batters while the pundits predict his demise. I, for one, have been predicting him to take a step back every year, and he keeps moving forward.

Agree on blanton - out of the rotation by spring 2014.
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-11 2:46 PM (#1938189 - in reply to #1937862)

All-Star

Top Prospect #13 - SS Jose Rondon - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-ang...

As Garrett said, this is all projection. He could be a power hitting shortstop with all the intangibles in the world to make him a premium competitor and top prospect someday. Then again, we may never hear from him again. This is the game we player when we talk about Dominican prospects. Lots of other prospects reports have mentioned some other Dominican prospects, most specifically Alfonso Alcantera, so we'll just say this. Give it at least one short season stateside before getting excited. Did anyone know Eswarlin Jimenez, the soft tossing left would come stateside and perform the way he did? What about Jean Carlos Santiago, a harder throwing lefty with a breaking pitch? Did anyone see him popping positive in a drug test and being subsequently released? You just never know with these guys, but Rondon has TONS of potential.
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-13 2:26 PM (#1940153 - in reply to #1914713)

All-Star

Top Prospect #12 - RHP A.J. Schugel - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-ang...

A.J. has conquered every goal set forth in front of him, and done so with surprising ease. So why don't critics love him more? Because they're critical. Seriously, all this kid does is succeed. Am I a believer yet? Yes. I believe he can be a major league pitcher. The amount of success he has will largely depend on his ability to spot his fastball and keep generating weak contact. As for everyone else, if Schugel succeeds in the most impossible environment to succeed in, AAA Salt Lake, then I think he'll have convinced a lot of folks that there's more than meets the eye with him.
angelduck
Posted 2013-02-13 9:49 PM (#1940355 - in reply to #1940153)

Salt Lake Bees

#12 for Schugel seems pretty low, no? Isn't he like the second best SP pitching prospect in the system after Maronde?
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-14 9:21 AM (#1940512 - in reply to #1940355)

All-Star

Schugel had a really good year, but his projections are low and the guys in front of him all had good years too with higher prospect profiles. Doesn't change the fact that we like him.
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-15 12:30 PM (#1941331 - in reply to #1914713)

All-Star

Top Prospect #11 SS Eric Stamets - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-ang...

A personal favorite of mine, and I think Garrett likes him as well. He's fast, he's amazing defensively at a premium position, and he should be a fast climber. Will he be an offensive juggernaut? No, but I do like him as a quality utility infielder or even a starter someday if he manages to hit .250 or higher.
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-18 1:38 PM (#1942826 - in reply to #1914713)

All-Star

Now we get to the Top 10!!!!

Top Prospect #10 RHP Dan Tillman - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-ang...

There's so much here to like. The mid-90's heater, the two different showings indicates an adavnced understanding of hitters and situational pitching, the slider is brilliant, the upside is tremendous. Again, with most relievers, especially Angels relievers, the biggest issue here is control. Tillman needs to keep the ball over the plate. Other relievers that struggle with their control/command like Geltz or even Kohn don't have something that Tillman has, which is a devastating out pitch. So even if his command is never great, but he brings it up to an adequate level, he'll be a successful major leaguer. But I do get the feeling that ultimately his ability to spot the ball and not issue free passes will be the deciding factor in whether he's a depth middle reliever or a legitimate closer.
Angel Oracle
Posted 2013-02-18 4:00 PM (#1942933 - in reply to #1942826)

Hall of Fame

Tillman finding control = Scot Shields part deux.

Doesn't Stamets have 40-50 SBs potential even as a .250 hitter?
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-18 5:36 PM (#1943014 - in reply to #1942933)

All-Star

Hard to say really. I mean yeah, he's that fast but so is Peter Bourjos and we don't see Bourjos swiping 40+ bags at the major league level. Same with Aybar, was an incredible base thief when he was younger, but at the major league level pitchers have better moves, hold runners on better, catchers have better arms. He's lucky if he steals 30.
Scott34
Posted 2013-02-18 6:00 PM (#1943036 - in reply to #1943014)

Hall of Fame

I would say so. Stamets is an easy 65-70 runner. Jose Iglesias comp from me.
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-18 8:07 PM (#1943136 - in reply to #1943036)

All-Star

Based off his defensive prowess and speed, sure, you could make that comp, I've even thought of it myself. But I decided I haven't seen Stamets enough to say for sure he's like Iglesias. That Cuban kid is a hell of an athlete. I think an even stronger comp could be within our own system, Andrew Romine. Romine doesn't have his quick twitch reflexes and first step, but has similar speed and defensive prowess.
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-20 1:31 PM (#1944420 - in reply to #1943136)

All-Star

Top Prospect #9 2B Alex Yarbrough - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2013/2013-la-ang...

Personal favorite of mine, he flashed average or above tools in just about every department. I think he'll develop some solid power in the near future and am really excited to see him climb the ladder. He will probably start off at Inland Empire along with Stamets, but I wouldn't be completely suprised if he ended up joining Taylor Lindsey up in AA. He may even end up leapfrogging Lindsey, who knows. But I do know that I really like the Angels options at 2B in the future once Kendrick moves on.

dochalo
Posted 2013-02-20 10:14 PM (#1944783 - in reply to #1914713)

Hall of Fame

I can't say that I'm totally excited about Stamets or Yarbrough. Light hitting middle infielders just don't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, I like that the halos have a couple of potential solid starters or at worst bench guys, but someone like Rondon is more exciting. Although it's a good idea to have a solid mix of fast climbing solid with limited upside along with highly projectable potential burnouts.
ScottyAllenLAAI
Posted 2013-02-21 4:33 PM (#1945261 - in reply to #1944783)

All-Star

That's the thing, Yarbrough and Stamets may not be "light-hitting". Stamets won't hit for power, but if he makes enough contact, he'll be a serious SB threat to go along with his insane defensive ability. That'd make him an above average starting shortstop in the majors. As for Yarbrough, his ability to hit for average will take him far and if he hits for more power like I'm predicting he will, then again. that'd make him an above average starting 2B in the major leagues.

So the upside for both of them is there. They may not be so light hitting.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Angelswin.com
(Delete all cookies set by this site)