AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
Search | Home | Chat | Blog | Store | Interviews | History Forums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: For Angels fans, the night ended on the happiest of all notes as hated White Sox catcher A. J. Pierzynski, who had taunted them with a pair of doubles by barely beating the tag at second each time, took the game-ending third strike. ~Dan Weber- Press Enterprise
- (Added by: Chonito)

Addition by Subtraction
Moderators: tomsred, Adam, IEBRUIN, Bruce Nye, Kurt Swanson, Blarg, mancini79

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   AngelsWin -> Los Angeles Angels DailyMessage format

gurn67
Posted 2012-12-27 12:55 PM (#1911372)
Subject: Addition by Subtraction

Big League Angels

The greatest example of Addition by Subtraction in franchise history occurred on this date 11 years ago.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/this-date-in-transactions-his...

Angels trade Moo Vaughn and win the World Series.
Dude ruptures a tendon in his arm the last month of 2000. After the guy hits like Mathis the last month of the season, the Angels inexplicably don't give him a physical to discover if maybe an injury had something to do with it. He doesn't tell the Angels about the ruptured tendon until spring training 2001 because he didn't want surgery and rehab to interfere with his off-season regimen of hitting strip clubs and buffet lines.
Getting this clubhouse cancer out of here, even for an over the hill Kevin Appier, allowed the likes of Erstad and Percival to take the leadership roles that the team sorely needed and a team of grinders, rather than overpaid stars, won it all!
What's really bad about the Moo signing is free agent Randy Johnson assumed he was going to be an Angel and never got the call because Bill Bavasi was so preoccupied with Vaughn and his supposed leadership qualities. After the signing, the team had no money to sign Johnson and instead signed DOA Tim Belcher.
Like the Wells fiasco, this signing also cost the Angels' GM his job.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
socaliente
Posted 2012-12-27 1:03 PM (#1911378 - in reply to #1911372)
Subject: Re: Addition by Subtraction

Big League Angels

Johnson on the Halos would have been sick. Vaughn on the Halos made me sick.
GlenM
Posted 2012-12-27 1:05 PM (#1911379 - in reply to #1911372)

Mathis.
ELEVEN
Posted 2012-12-27 1:18 PM (#1911389 - in reply to #1911372)

Hall of Fame

Edmonds was pushed out over Vaughn as well.
Angels_for_life
Posted 2012-12-27 1:42 PM (#1911398 - in reply to #1911372)

Hall of Fame

How did Bavasi (any of them) get a job as a major league gm?
evanhalofan
Posted 2012-12-27 1:52 PM (#1911401 - in reply to #1911372)

All-Star

I remember Mo Vaughn campaigning to get Randy Johnson. Also to be fair Mo Vaughn had some monster years. Most Angel fans were stoked and many baseball analysts thought is was a good move. NOBODY of importance thought the Wells move was anything but idiotic.
gotbeer
Posted 2012-12-27 4:00 PM (#1911448 - in reply to #1911372)

Hall of Fame

The memories of Vaughn.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/mar/27/sports/sp-angels27

Thanks Moo. That was quite a pep talk you gave our boys to fire us up to do something.
Jimmag
Posted 2012-12-27 4:24 PM (#1911452 - in reply to #1911372)
Subject: RE: Addition by Subtraction

Big League Angels

We need to make more trades with the Mets.  Aha

http://ma-tvideo.france2.fr/video/iLyROoaft0IU.html

disarcina
Posted 2012-12-27 7:06 PM (#1911515 - in reply to #1911372)

Hall of Fame

I'm NO Mo Vaughn fan, in fact he's one of the few Halos I generally disliked both during and after his time here..........but to be fair, Mo Vaughn did have one or two decent stat years with the Halos.

But what a cancer he was in the clubhouse.........
HeavenlyHalos
Posted 2012-12-28 1:27 AM (#1911619 - in reply to #1911372)

All-Star

Vaughn on Percival: "Who the ... is Troy Percival? ... He hasn't done ... to lead them anywhere. I got hardware. I got playoff appearances. I got an MVP. I've been to the playoffs twice. What the hell has he done?"

Vaughn on the Angels: "Ain't none of them done a damn thing in this game, bottom line. They ain't got no flags hanging at ... Edison Field, so the hell with them."

I wonder what Vaughn thought when he saw Percival close out game 7.
HeavenlyHalos
Posted 2012-12-28 1:29 AM (#1911620 - in reply to #1911372)

All-Star

Oh and the use of "ain't go no" and "ain't none of them" will never lose there comedic value.
bruinman74
Posted 2012-12-28 7:48 AM (#1911655 - in reply to #1911372)

Hall of Fame

I thought this was going to be about Isringhausen or Hawkins..
Soto Speaks
Posted 2012-12-28 7:58 AM (#1911660 - in reply to #1911372)

Mo Vaughn was one of the reasons why I didn't want the halos to sign Prince Fielder. History with big fat superstars not on the Angels side. Fielder looked good last year, but only time will tell if that contract works out for Detroit.

Floplag
Posted 2012-12-28 8:32 AM (#1911675 - in reply to #1911372)

All-Star

Honestly, i have never understood this expression, it makes no sense. its like the whole less is more thing, its ludicrous in nature.
We won that WS in spite of that deal, not because of it.
There is no way the team we had on the field was better than it would have been with a healthy Vaughn, and perhaps the addition of Johnson. Unfortunately Vaughn didn't seem to care about his health.
I for one wont give any credit to the whole addition by subtraction ideology, its simply nonsense used to justify hindsight and luck.
nato2k
Posted 2012-12-28 8:35 AM (#1911679 - in reply to #1911372)

Hall of Fame

Steve Phillips and Omar Minaya were one hell of a combination lol.
eaterfan
Posted 2012-12-28 8:42 AM (#1911688 - in reply to #1911675)

All-Star

Floplag - 2012-12-28 8:32 AM

Honestly, i have never understood this expression, it makes no sense. its like the whole less is more thing, its ludicrous in nature.
There is no way the team we had on the field was better than it would have been with a healthy Vaughn, and perhaps the addition of Johnson. Unfortunately Vaughn didn't seem to care about his health.
I for one wont give any credit to the whole addition by subtraction ideology, its simply nonsense used to justify hindsight and luck.

In most instances I agree, but if you have a negative War player you are literally better off without him on the team making outs or errors.
Floplag
Posted 2012-12-28 9:58 AM (#1911758 - in reply to #1911688)

All-Star

eaterfan - 2012-12-28 8:42 AM

Floplag - 2012-12-28 8:32 AM

In most instances I agree, but if you have a negative War player you are literally better off without him on the team making outs or errors.

Every team has guys like that, ours in a 4th-5th OF/DH type, big deal. If he were not making that silly salary noone would care. If he were getting paid like 2-3 mil, giving us 20-25 HR pop off the bench, everyone would think he was a valuable resource, its the expectation of the contract that everyone's butthurt about, and rightfully so... but he is in the right role for this tea, contract or no contract.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Angelswin.com
(Delete all cookies set by this site)