AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
Search | Home | Chat | Blog | Store | Interviews | History Forums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." - Benjamin Franklin
- (Added by: Eric)

The 2010 AngelsWin.com Spring Fanfest Weekend
Moderators: tomsred, Adam, IEBRUIN, Bruce Nye, Kurt Swanson, Blarg, mancini79

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   AngelsWin -> Los Angeles Angels DailyMessage format

Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-08 9:07 PM (#791252)
Subject: The 2010 AngelsWin.com Spring Fanfest Weekend

Hall of Famer

First off, a special thanks to Brian Ilten, Kurt Swanson, Cassy Carlson, Rob Goldman, Patti, James Doss, Tim Mead, Jose Mota,Terry Smith, Darren Chan and Bill Plunkett. I would also like to thank Hail Marys for providing a great place for us, including some delicious food.

With that out of the way, here's a quick run through on the weekend's events and why I thought this was the best of these fanfests to date. 

I had the pleasure of meeting 21 new people from our website for the first time, so to me this was one of the finer moments of the weekend -- and to see them all having a great time amongst other Angels fans. A dream come true set in motion, the reason I wanted to build AngelsWin.com in the first place.

Friday's game despite the loss, was just awesome because it was the first game for me since last early fall. The smell of the cut of the grass, crack of the bat and sun on my shoulders is what it's all about for a Baseball fan. Thank God it's BACK. I'm also thankful that we got to meet up with a bunch of the members from the website at the game, huddled behind homeplate. 

PF Changs and the Library on Friday night. Great time, good food, yummy drinks and some laughs on the dance floor. The turnout for our PF Changs dinner was huge. Good times. Someone use this thread to post pictures of Kurt on the dance floor who had us all laughing with him as he busted his moves in front of us all. Hilarious! Very cool to see Mike Napoli's mom there and meet a few of the Angels equipment workers and trainers there too.

Saturday rolled on and we decided to go to the Oakland A's game after all. Good decision after Sunday's game was rained out. Scott, Brian, Kurt and I caught a ride on one of those golf carts from this friendly woman and we were laughing the whole way from our parking spot to the front entrance as we were bottoming out on that sucker almost the whole way. Met up with Geoff Stoddart (Spirit) and his wife at the ballpark, so it was good to meet them before our Hail Marys shindizzle. The one FAIL of the weekend was me not wearing a hat to the game or putting sun block on. I had the raccoon eyes going on the night of our shindig at Hail Marys and a red face. 

Our AngelsWin.com Shindig ended up being better than I could have ever imagined. I didn't think it could top last years' with Rex Hudler and Terry Smith there, Rex creating a buzz in the room that lingered over the rest of the weekend, then plugging us, our event and name dropping Chonito and I on the radio during the A's vs. Angels ST game the following day.

Terry Smith and Jose Mota showed up around 5:30 and begun mingling with AngelsWin.com members. Then Terry said to me "hey, we need to get going soon, can you introduce me to those who I haven't met yet and we'll get on our way so we can make the Ducks vs. Coyotes game. DC is picking us up here at 6."  I said that I didn't know who he has or hasn't met yet and if he'd be willing to do a quick formal type Q&A with the AngelsWin.com members before they left, and I'd love for Darren Chan to come in to get you guys so I can meet him too. I've always wanted to meet him. Terry and Jose agreed and it was on. 45 minutes later and after a FANTASTIC session of questions and answers, interjections by OCR's Bill Plunkett who showed up 10 minutes into the Q&A, then including DC toward the end of the interview -- all of which was captured on video with my flip. (We'll post that later on the Blog). I just cannot say how awesome it was, but those who were there will concur. I can't wait to take it all in again after I post the video to the Blog later on.

As the night went on and we consumed some delish food and tasty beverages we had Rob Goldman and James Doss (who shot Scioscia's Golf event late last year), James and Rob worked together to interview 30-40 or so of our AngelsWin.com members, asking them about our website, their favorite moments, players etc. to be used for something we'll have in the future for our website (more on that later). Brian handled the raffle prizes later on, that was a fun time, with Homer drawings the #'s out of the hat. There was some killer giveaways of memorabilia, signed balls and pictures. Brian wrapped it up for us by giving what was to me an incredible and emotional speech about the fan community we have at AngelsWin.com, noting how back in the early 90's it was just him, SuperDave and Halo Tank on the board all the time, meeting up El Torito before games and doing some tailgaters -- fast forwarding to Saturday and where the website and community is at now. Just a great speech Brian.

Sunday morning roll in and the Angels and Tim Mead were all there early, letting us all in at 9 o clock hour, starting our Q&A with Tim down by the Angels dugout with the AW.com members in the stands. Tim Mead gave a GREAT speech on the state of the Angels that lasted about 30 minutes, then he took questions for an additional 15 minutes. We have it all on video and it will be uploaded to our YouTube channel soon and posted on the Blog. Probably by Thursday or Friday of this week. It was awesome to watch the Angels players interact, take BP and get some awesome pictures and videos while they did their drills and BP on the field. Matsui, Kendry, Wood, Rivera, Hunter were all pounding the ball in BP.

The game got canceled, but that was OK because we got two games in already and we had a chance to fellowship even more for an early lunch. We then went back to our hotel and ended up having a good conversation about the website, we met Hideki Matsui who stayed at the Sheraton with us (got a picture with him) and we met Gary Patchett (Angels Triple-A player) later on that night and talked to him for a while over beers.

There's so much more to type, there's a lot that I didn't cover. The good times in the spa, drinks by the pool, conversation and laughs by the bar and just the overall experience in Tempe for what was our 4th annual AngelsWin.com Spring Fanfest. 

I encourage those of you who took some good pictures over the weekend to post them in this thread. I'll start off with a few that I took and some random pics that I pulled off Jody's FB.

Thank YOU all for being a part of something special here.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
katierose31
Posted 2010-03-08 9:22 PM (#791268 - in reply to #791252)
Subject: RE: The 2010 AngelsWin.com Spring Fanfest Weekend

Hall of Fame

LightTheHalo
Posted 2010-03-08 9:25 PM (#791270 - in reply to #791252)
Subject: Re: The 2010 AngelsWin.com Spring Fanfest Weekend

Hall of Fame

Alfredo Griffin scolding AngelsWin.com members for trying to collect batting practice home run balls from the grass in left field on Sunday was, um, interesting.

Watching my son collect more than 20 autographs, including Scott Kazmir, Matt Palmer, Jason Bulger, Hank Conger, Alexi Amarista and Peter Bourjos was another highlight, as well as watching him participate in the raffle drawing at Hail Mary's. The kid will never be accused of being shy.
katierose31
Posted 2010-03-08 9:28 PM (#791272 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Fame

he was thirsty
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-08 9:30 PM (#791278 - in reply to #791270)

Hall of Famer

LightTheHalo - 2010-03-08 9:25 PM Alfredo Griffin scolding AngelsWin.com members for trying to collect batting practice home run balls from the grass in left field on Sunday was, um, interesting. Watching my son collect more than 20 autographs, including Scott Kazmir, Matt Palmer, Jason Bulger, Hank Conger, Alexi Amarista and Peter Bourjos was another highlight, as well as watching him participate in the raffle drawing at Hail Mary's. The kid will never be accused of being shy.

Ha, totally Geoff. I especially laughed when after Brian's speech, Homer came up to me and gave me some garlic bread and said "thank you for your contribution" or something like that. LOL

Halocory22
Posted 2010-03-08 9:31 PM (#791279 - in reply to #791272)

Hall of Fame

I had a Mathis foul ball and one of the workers demanded I give it to her because of coaching staff telling her not to give away baseballs. I was really bummed haha. I had an amazing weekend. Saturday was one of the best days I've had in a while. Great meeting all of you in here finally. Hail Marys was amazing. The after party at the hotel. The meeting with Tim Mead and everything else. The only regret from the weekend, going to Denny's instead of Aunt Chiladas haha.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-08 9:42 PM (#791296 - in reply to #791279)

Hall of Famer

Halocory22 - 2010-03-08 9:31 PM I had a Mathis foul ball and one of the workers demanded I give it to her because of coaching staff telling her not to give away baseballs. I was really bummed haha. I had an amazing weekend. Saturday was one of the best days I've had in a while. Great meeting all of you in here finally. Hail Marys was amazing. The after party at the hotel. The meeting with Tim Mead and everything else. The only regret from the weekend, going to Denny's instead of Aunt Chiladas haha.

Yeah, Sunday's brunch after the rainout at Aunt Chiladas was incredibly GOOD. The margaritas was especially tasty! 

Halo
Posted 2010-03-08 9:44 PM (#791299 - in reply to #791252)

damnit, Cory.

Thanks to everyone else (and, you too, for the rides, Cory)
GlenM
Posted 2010-03-08 9:47 PM (#791301 - in reply to #791270)

LightTheHalo - 2010-03-08 9:25 PM

Alfredo Griffin scolding AngelsWin.com members for trying to collect batting practice home run balls from the grass in left field on Sunday was, um, interesting.

It's on with him. Oh yes, it is.
Halo
Posted 2010-03-08 9:48 PM (#791302 - in reply to #791252)

Usually, they keep people from going out there during bp.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-08 9:52 PM (#791307 - in reply to #791302)

Hall of Famer

Hey Halo, I'm glad we got to spend some time together over the weekend, especially on Sunday before you had to catch your plane. 

katierose31
Posted 2010-03-08 9:53 PM (#791309 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Fame

sad i missed sunday but i was NOT awake at 9am...
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-08 9:55 PM (#791311 - in reply to #791309)

Hall of Famer

katierose31 - 2010-03-08 9:53 PM sad i missed sunday but i was NOT awake at 9am...

Katie, we'll have it all on video soon. No worries! I'm glad we got to chat a little on Saturday too. I tried making it a point to spend time with everyone over the weekend.

katierose31
Posted 2010-03-08 9:56 PM (#791312 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Fame

i liked your dedication to the team by painting your face red.
Halo
Posted 2010-03-08 9:59 PM (#791314 - in reply to #791307)

Chuck - 2010-03-08 9:52 PM

Hey Halo, I'm glad we got to spend some time together over the weekend, especially on Sunday before you had to catch your plane. 

I heard I missed more drama at the hotel.  I had an interesting trip, though.  Pretty amazing, in fact. 

Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-08 10:04 PM (#791320 - in reply to #791312)

Hall of Famer

katierose31 - 2010-03-08 9:56 PM i liked your dedication to the team by painting your face red.

I took one for the team. :)

Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-08 10:06 PM (#791323 - in reply to #791314)

Hall of Famer

Halo - 2010-03-08 9:59 PM
Chuck - 2010-03-08 9:52 PM

I heard I missed more drama at the hotel.  I had an interesting trip, though.  Pretty amazing, in fact. 

I guess I'll have to check out the Hangout forum for all the details.

Flyinraptr
Posted 2010-03-08 10:40 PM (#791345 - in reply to #791301)

Salt Lake Bees

Here is the scene of the crime .... AngelMonkey (my wife) is third from the right ... unfortunately didn't get Alfredo Grump@ss running around waving his bat at my wife as I didn't know that was going on.  Shagging fly balls is Matt Palmer who was nice enough to walk over to AngelMonkey after the incident with Alfredo Grump@ss and toss her a ball.

Sunday - bpIMG_2179 

djags45
Posted 2010-03-08 10:41 PM (#791348 - in reply to #791252)

All-Star

It's awesome to hear everyone had a good time. It looks like a great event, and major props to the Angels organization for taking the time to acknowledge and interact with their most passionate of fans. I really plan on making a point to attend next year.
Clash7782
Posted 2010-03-08 11:10 PM (#791373 - in reply to #791252)

Cedar Rapids (Low-A)

I would like to thank the AW.com staff for putting together a great Fanfest Weekend.

This year marked the first time I saw the Angels in spring training, and I had a blast.

The dinner at Hail Mary's was a fun experience as well. One of the highlights for me was listening to Terry Smith and Jose Mota speaking to the fans.
Sunday's Q and A session with Tim Mead was also informative.

Once again, thanks AW.com for making last weekend a memorable one for me.

casmonkey
Posted 2010-03-08 11:15 PM (#791374 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Fame

Thanks again to Chuck and Brian who took many, many, MANY hours of their personal time to plan this for all of us! I had a blast (again!) and am more than looking forward to next year already! Thanks for a GREAT Spring Training to everyone, especially all the new people I got to meet!
mancini79
Posted 2010-03-08 11:25 PM (#791379 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Fame

Aunt Chiladas needs to become the "Official Mexican Restaurant of Angelswin" in AZ. The chorizo burrito was awesome and the Margarita was even better. The bartender was not shy with the tequila. I wanted to have seconds, but that would've been pushing it for the drive home.
Brandon
Posted 2010-03-08 11:34 PM (#791387 - in reply to #791252)

nice ghost shark in the pic
Dave Saltzer
Posted 2010-03-09 12:04 AM (#791402 - in reply to #791379)

All-Star

mancini79 - 2010-03-08 11:25 PM

Aunt Chiladas needs to become the "Official Mexican Restaurant of Angelswin" in AZ. The chorizo burrito was awesome and the Margarita was even better. The bartender was not shy with the tequila. I wanted to have seconds, but that would've been pushing it for the drive home.

I'd second that. The food was great.

Thank you for all who made this an incredible trip. It was my first trip to Spring Training since 2002, and man, was it fun to get out there. I'm looking forward to this becoming an annual tradition, and, as my boys get older, bringing them along too!

It was a real pleasure meeting so many new people in person.
angel.fan61
Posted 2010-03-09 1:52 AM (#791421 - in reply to #791252)

San Bernadino 66'ers

Looks like everything was a blast. wish I could have been there. Hope to see you next year
Angel Oracle
Posted 2010-03-09 7:14 AM (#791441 - in reply to #791421)

Hall of Fame

Thank you Chuck. It was great getting a taste of how things were there.

Is GG getting one of those Mauer face masks? :)

Finally, Alfredo needs to have a talk with Sgt. Hulka....."Lighten up Alfredo!"

Edited by Angel Oracle 2010-03-09 7:17 AM
casmonkey
Posted 2010-03-09 7:15 AM (#791442 - in reply to #791441)

Hall of Fame

Angel Oracle - 2010-03-09 9:14 AM

Thank you Chuck. It was great getting a taste of how things were there.

Is GG getting one of those Mauer face masks? :)

I actually brought it specifically for her! :D But I wanted to bring him out to have a little fun before he went on his way to her heheheh!
casmonkey
Posted 2010-03-09 7:17 AM (#791444 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Fame

I'm kind of scared to see the interview Katie and I did with Joe Mauer. I was prettttttttttttty wasted.
bruinman74
Posted 2010-03-09 7:22 AM (#791446 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Fame

Thank you everybody. My wife and I had a blast. It was great to meet some of you for the first time, and seeing some of you again. I'm glad we finally made it to our first ST.

It was hard to squeeze things in but some of the many highlights for us were: seeing snow as we drove past San Jacinto and San Gorgonio mountains, seeing Saguaro cactus, watching the pitchers walk to the lower field on Friday, game on Friday including the AW group, getting a foul ball from Patti (thanks Patti!) Phoenix Zoo on Saturday with camel ride, paddle boat on lake, feeding giraffes, Hail Mary's on Saturday, meeting and hearing Terry Smith, Jose Mota, DC, BP, doing the interview with Rob Goldman and finally getting his book, more quality time with AW group, going to a church with my wife on her birthday/Sunday morning and meeting some friendly folks that live in Tempe, and driving home safely thru lots of rain.

It all went by way too fast and wish we were still there. Thank goodness baseball is back and we have this great website and community!!

pattimelt
Posted 2010-03-09 8:36 AM (#791466 - in reply to #791252)

All-Star

Ok.. so I did a quick upload of my spring training pics. If you're on Facebook, if you go to my page, you'll see the link. If you're NOT on Facebook, go to www.photobucket.com/pattimelt95 . The pictures are in their own album, "Spring Training 2010".. I didn't edit them yet, so there are a couple/few? that you'll have to rotate, but I am still under the weather, and I wanted to get these up so everyone could at least get to see the stuff that was on the wall outside of the clubhouse..
Adam
Posted 2010-03-09 8:46 AM (#791472 - in reply to #791387)

Hall of Fame

Brandon - 2010-03-08 11:34 PM nice ghost shark in the pic

You saw it too?

4419406830_1ee55d07b8.jpg picture by adodge30

casmonkey
Posted 2010-03-09 8:57 AM (#791477 - in reply to #791472)

Hall of Fame

Patti, do you have this in a bigger format? I love it and want to get it printed.

Edited by casmonkey 2010-03-09 8:58 AM
pattimelt
Posted 2010-03-09 8:59 AM (#791478 - in reply to #791252)

All-Star

I can put it up for you in bigger format if you want.. like I said, it was a quick upload..

I actually just emailed you the jpg file.. do with it what you want..

Edited by pattimelt 2010-03-09 9:07 AM
casmonkey
Posted 2010-03-09 9:04 AM (#791483 - in reply to #791478)

Hall of Fame

awesome thanks :)
JimC
Posted 2010-03-09 9:09 AM (#791489 - in reply to #791472)

Adam - 2010-03-09 8:46 AM

Brandon - 2010-03-08 11:34 PM nice ghost shark in the pic

You saw it too?

4419406830_1ee55d07b8.jpg picture by adodge30

Hahaha Are we looking at another 16 pages or what. If I knew how to trace I would show you the lizard I see.

JimC
Posted 2010-03-09 9:15 AM (#791498 - in reply to #791466)

pattimelt - 2010-03-09 8:36 AM Ok.. so I did a quick upload of my spring training pics. If you're on Facebook, if you go to my page, you'll see the link. If you're NOT on Facebook, go to www.photobucket.com/pattimelt95 . The pictures are in their own album, "Spring Training 2010".. I didn't edit them yet, so there are a couple/few? that you'll have to rotate, but I am still under the weather, and I wanted to get these up so everyone could at least get to see the stuff that was on the wall outside of the clubhouse..

Patti, it says there is no page?

pattimelt
Posted 2010-03-09 9:24 AM (#791506 - in reply to #791498)

All-Star

MrFixIt - 2010-03-09 9:15 AM

pattimelt - 2010-03-09 8:36 AM Ok.. so I did a quick upload of my spring training pics. If you're on Facebook, if you go to my page, you'll see the link. If you're NOT on Facebook, go to www.photobucket.com/pattimelt95 . The pictures are in their own album, "Spring Training 2010".. I didn't edit them yet, so there are a couple/few? that you'll have to rotate, but I am still under the weather, and I wanted to get these up so everyone could at least get to see the stuff that was on the wall outside of the clubhouse..

Ok.. I forgot part..

http://s29.photobucket.com/home/pattimelt95/index

if that doesn't work, go to photobucket and put in pattimelt95, and all my pics should show up. The ones from this weekend are in a separate album called Spring Training 2010

Edited by pattimelt 2010-03-09 9:26 AM
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-09 9:30 AM (#791512 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Famer

pattimelt
Posted 2010-03-09 9:32 AM (#791515 - in reply to #791512)

All-Star

Chuck - 2010-03-09 9:30 AM

Hey-- I know those people!!!!!!!!
JimC
Posted 2010-03-09 9:33 AM (#791516 - in reply to #791506)

pattimelt - 2010-03-09 9:24 AM
MrFixIt - 2010-03-09 9:15 AM

Ok.. I forgot part.. http://s29.photobucket.com/home/pattimelt95/index if that doesn't work, go to photobucket and put in pattimelt95, and all my pics should show up. The ones from this weekend are in a separate album called Spring Training 2010

Thanx for the link, the pictures look great. Wished I could have made it, looks like you guys and gals had a lot of fun.

Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-09 10:12 AM (#791559 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Famer

You have to make it next year, Mr. Fixit.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-09 10:13 AM (#791561 - in reply to #791477)

Hall of Famer

casmonkey - 2010-03-09 8:57 AM Patti, do you have this in a bigger format? I love it and want to get it printed.

Cassy, I have the original by James Doss. Hit me up via email and I'll send it to you.

JimC
Posted 2010-03-09 10:18 AM (#791570 - in reply to #791559)

Chuck - 2010-03-09 10:12 AM You have to make it next year, Mr. Fixit.

This Fanfest and the opening day for my son's Little League have been on the same weekend for the last couple of years. Next year I'm going to try and make it though. Sounds like a good time to be had for all.

AngelsRedRum
Posted 2010-03-09 10:19 AM (#791573 - in reply to #791252)

All-Star

Awesome picture!
Lifetime
Posted 2010-03-09 10:19 AM (#791574 - in reply to #791570)

Hall of Fame

MrFixIt - 2010-03-09 10:18 AM

Chuck - 2010-03-09 10:12 AM You have to make it next year, Mr. Fixit.

This Fanfest and the opening day for my son's Little League have been on the same weekend for the last couple of years. Next year I'm going to try and make it though. Sounds like a good time to be had for all.

That same opening day has done me in also
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-09 10:20 AM (#791576 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Famer

Next year we're going to do it closer toward the end of ST so that more people can make it.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-03-09 10:29 AM (#791584 - in reply to #791252)

Hall of Famer

It was cool of Gary Patchett to join us in conversation at the Sheraton Sunday night too.

Lifetime
Posted 2010-03-09 10:31 AM (#791587 - in reply to #791576)

Hall of Fame

Chuck - 2010-03-09 10:20 AM

Next year we're going to do it closer toward the end of ST so that more people can make it.

hill or highwater.....
Lifetime
Posted 2010-03-09 10:44 AM (#791592 - in reply to #791587)

Hall of Fame

Speaking of LL Opening Day getting in the way of Fanfest... a minor consolation was getting the chance to meet and shake hands with Darin Erstad - our special guest of honor.

Click link for photos

My son and Ersty

Halo
Posted 2010-03-09 10:51 AM (#791601 - in reply to #791252)

Maybe closer to the middle of the month, but I'd prefer it wasn't at the end. The offseason is long enough. At least someone found some good mexican food. No Denny's next year, please.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Angelswin.com
(Delete all cookies set by this site)